Help, please: Older GraverMax and Newer GraverMax

Helene

:)Hello,

I am new and want to thank you for this awesome forum.

I am looking to buy some equipment and have come across an older model Gravermax for sale.

Can someone tell me what the differences are between the new GraverMax G8 and the older GraverMax's?

I have been making jewelry for awhile now and would like to add more engraving into my work as well as more stone setting.

I am wondering if the older GraverMax's have just as good precision as the newer models if I attached a newer hand piece such as the magnum handpiece...would it work fairly the same?

I guess I am wondering whether or not it's better to buy brand new as oppose to using the the classic gravermax.

Thanks for your help...greatly appreciated.
Helene

Last edited:

guzzi

Helene, the older Max will run the Magnum just fine. These older units are almost bullet-proof and can be found for a good value. jb

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum.

The older GraverMax is a great machine and will fulfill all engraving requirements.
There are still a ton of the old ones still producing world level engraving today.

You certainly wouldn't go wrong if you can pick up a second hand one, with a couple of hand pieces.

The G8 looks sexier, and has higher strokes per minute range. (400-8000 rather than 400-4000)
I think the handpieces for the G8 are exactly the same a the old ones too.

Jo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In a nutshell, the differences between the classic Gravermax and the newest generation of Gravermachs/Gravermax G8s might be like the differences between a car built 25 years ago vs one built today. Today's cars are smoother, faster, more efficient, quieter, more features, etc. That said, the old classic Gravermax is still a very solid machine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price is right. There are tens of thousands of these old machines being worked hard every day in engraving shops and jewelry factories around the world.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bells and whistles, Never found need of the higher speeds, fact is I usually work in the 1600 to 2500 range. The Max is a workhorse and the service to new condition is reasonable. Foot control suits me better than the palm AT system. save where you can, I don't care what they say, f
necessities keep going up and what a dollar will buy keeps going down. What happens on Wall Street only smoke and mirrors anyway. Save were you can. There may be other bargains waiting for you. Oh by the way, Welcome to the forum at the Engravers Café-A little background and info is much enjoyed and helps us get to know appreciate each other a bit more. Fred

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like the others say, the older Gravermax is a workhorse. I bought one in 1984 and used it daily until the AT came out. I still have the machine because it owes me nothing. Just make sure you are buying a genuine Gravermax and not a knock off. For the most part the knock off machines won't be labeled GRAVERMAX but I'm sure some have been.

Sam

Staff member
and wich pressure Sam?

I rarely look at the pressure gauge, Paolo. I adjust the regulator so that the handpiece starts with a clean, sharp tap as soon as the pedal or Airtract knob is depressed. It's important that the handpiece not flutter and vibrate before it begins to tap.

For stippling I use the 901 handpiece, although with my new 0.4x objective and larger working distance, the Maestro handpiece is a fabulous stippling tool.

mrthe

Ok,thank you ,i was thinking that the pressure was influent in some way in the power of the impacts.

Sam

Staff member
Ok,thank you ,i was thinking that the pressure was influent in some way in the power of the impacts.

Once the air pressure is adjusted, you can vary the SPM (strokes per minute) a moderate amount without readjusting the regulator. If you change the SPM a great amount then a slight regulator adjust might be needed, and this is a quick two-second adjustment.

guzzi

I rarely look at the pressure gauge, Paolo. I adjust the regulator so that the handpiece starts with a clean, sharp tap as soon as the pedal or Airtract knob is depressed. It's important that the handpiece not flutter and vibrate before it begins to tap.

For stippling I use the 901 handpiece, although with my new 0.4x objective and larger working distance, the Maestro handpiece is a fabulous stippling tool.

Thanks Sam, the Maestro was my design while at GRS, no credit tho.... But still a great company to work for. jb

Last edited:

Helene

Thanks Fred! It's true! I am adding up all of these cost and it is ouchy! Yes? After reading all of the responses in this post.. I am going to save a bit of money on a older model. Just getting started with the engraver ...so maybe in the future when I am all poised, I can feel the need to spend more!

Latest posts

Sponsors