Old watch engravings

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My student this week brought in some antique engraved watch parts. Fantastic work to say the least!!

DSC01211-sm.JPG DSC01215-sm.JPG DSC01214-sm.JPG DSC01209-sm.JPG DSC01210-sm.JPG DSC01213-sm.JPG DSC01212-sm.JPG DSC01216-sm.JPG

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.
I guess I'll show my ignorance by asking - why did watch makers take the time and effort to engrave watch parts that were most likely only to be seen by a watch repair person - years down the road? I know some watches open up to view the "innards", but it seems so much nice work was destined to be viewed only once a year at best!
Gordon Alcorn

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Ahhhh, the beauty of things made before everything was stamped out by a computer. Lavish jobs that certainly would not be done again, if for no other reason people just won't or cannot obtain them because of the cost. Certainly there is fine work being done today you see it on this Forum everyday. But the factorys make what they can sell. Unfortunatly they EXPECT things to break down so they can sell a new one.To me the worst thing is many people are happy to replace things on a regular basis. A throw away society, too bad.

scott99

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Great pictures...how did you take them...camera,lens....just a couple hints...

Donny

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of my early jewelry instructors at LSU, Christopher Hentz, once showed me a beautiful belt buckle that he wore. He took it off and showed me the back which was even more nicely decorated than the front. He made the point to me then that I should always make the back of my pieces look as nice as the front. Now this is taking that to an extreme but I'm always marveled at the craftsmanship that went into some of those old timepieces. Thanks for these inspiring samples Sam!
Layne

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work!

Was the shading on the big flourish of Acanthus (to the right of the bird in a couple photos) done with a liner? I'm curious to know how this is done as I have never seen a liner... is the belly radiused on them?

Sorry for all the questions. Inspiring pictures of some beautiful art work!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andy: i think there's evidence of liner use in areas in the engraving with the bird. I can't be certain but I believe so. It is done so beautifully!

Liners can have a radius face but there's not much that can be done with the belly or you remove the lines. A slight polishing on leather can round them a bit but I think that's about all. A radius on the face allows you to roll the graver and to keep all the lines from entering the metal at the same time.

And it's good to see you posting. I hope you're doing well.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam... I wasn't thinking logically. A radiused face would seem to work well for what I was thinking. I'll have to do some grinding when I obtain one.

I've actually been doing better. Thank you for asking. ...even ventured to my shop to do a little cutting; Nothing too involved but very enjoyable none the less!

I've been reading and reading on the forum lately... learning new things. I'm very optimistic... and thankful to so many of my friends here who have been so kind!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW, what a lot to look at on that watch.
Sure a lot to look at too what most people now a days use to know the time like the iPhone.
I don't think anyone will post a photo of an engraved inside cellphone over a hundred years.

arnaud

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam for sharing, beautiful work there. The running joke around here is, " it if works, take it apart and find out why". If all watches were that nice looking inside, I think I'd be in real trouble. :thinking:

Latest posts

Sponsors