Old concept new engraving

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i do brass memorial plates for 2 funeral homes. they are lasered. to my surprise, i was asked by a family member to do a coffin plate. these plates were quite popular, but sort of fizzled out i think around the 30's.
i did a bit or researching on the net to get some feel for how these were typically done. this one is about typical of what i found. i did this in copper, 2 x 3". smugified with birchwood-casey to get an old look. the people loved this and gave me permission to post this on the forum.
the director is thinking of making this an option for those who are interested.

Attachments

• COFFIN PLATE.jpg
    COFFIN PLATE.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 322

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Monk, that's interesting, i have never seen these plates (i am a young man ;) ). I think, you have matched the wanted style very well.
How are they mounted on the coffin? Drilled holes in the plate?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That is interesting, monk. I believe there are several coffin plate engravings in the Nimschke book if I'm not mistaken. It would be great to see a revival of this old tradition. Thanks for sharing!

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Monk, I think you have captured the period very well with the style that is exhibited here. thanks for sharing

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for the comments. it's the exact effect the family was looking for. i have about 25 fotos of these plates on a cd. if i knew ho to do a mass "upload", i'd be happy to send them. but am too lazy to send them 1-at-a-time. is that a hint for help ?
mario, some were plain plates as you see here. i had to drill a hole in each end for riveting or whatever. many i have images of, appear to be very soft pewter. the engraved plate was held by a slightly fancy dimensional stamping. i'll dig up one of the fotos with the "holder" and send it here later. i think i may have come upon a fast way to mass upload all the fotos. all i need is permission from the landlord

Attachments

• C PLATE 1.jpg
    C PLATE 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 188
  • C PLATE12.jpg
    C PLATE12.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 187
  • C PLATE 17.jpg
    C PLATE 17.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 184
  • C PLATE 29.jpg
    C PLATE 29.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for share this, Monk! Very impressive. I can see where the small pins go in.
Don't know if it is appropriate to say that, but the lettering of "Ms Thompson" is felicitous. I have seen this style done in older wedding rings, very pleasing to my eye!

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Two books have interesting chapters on coffin plates and Memorial Plates.
"Engraving Metals", Hasluck, 1912, London
"Practical Engraving on Metal", by G.A.B., the Cursitor Publishing Co, London. No publish date, but seems from 1890's or so.
My other books written from 1900 to 1950? don't mention coffin plates.
My guess they were popular in Victorian times, and maybe more so in England than in the USA.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a plate I did. Not a coffin plate, more a memorial plate.
I really like the script on the "Eliza Thomson" plate, and my goal for the last four years or so has been to do script like that. So far, not close. Not sure what I am missing.

Seems today people are willing to spend big money on their pets, even in death. Maybe this is a way for some of you to make money.

My plate is about the size of a credit card. Polished copper. Was hard to get a good picture due to reflections.

Attachments

• cropped 140.jpg
    cropped 140.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am corious about how 19th century coffin plates were photographed in color. Were these from coffins that were dug up for some reason?

Latest posts

Sponsors