Of interest to Hobo Nickel carvers

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Kudos Steve. Great demo!

Pretty amazing to see this nowadays...

No power assisted whizbang engraving tools, no sharpening templates, no 100,000rpm rotary tool, and no microscope in sight! :)

Simplest way will always be the best.

Problem is with the McDonalds mentality. Gotta eat it, have it or do it RIGHT NOW!

And hammer & chisel or push engraving generally require just a bit too much time to master for the folks who can't wait...

Your video makes me wish I could still at least push. (Never did enough work that required the H&C to really master it.)

And of course - long for the days when I didn't even need an Optivisor - much less a microscope.

Brian

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also liked your fixture to rest different size/width gravers that provided extra control in tight places that required accuracy. Would like to know how you made such a fixture. It was very innovative. Some people might be interested in purchasing one or learning how to make one.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great video, nice work.
I see you created a distance to the lenses of your magnifier, what is the advantage of that.
Thanks for showing.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all. Brian I like your comments. I do have a confession to make though, I have a gravermax and scope in my workshop. Because I am so comfortable with old school tools I love working this way. The gravermax see's limited use, and the scope is used when I work on things that are difficult to see. When this coin is complete, I will share it with everyone along with some more information. The fixture is milled out epoxy attached to a two jaw chuck. I can make jigs to hold what I need and use it like a big engravers vise. The table itself tilts to relieve stress on my neck. The engraving bridge is simple to make. Just make a loop out of brass with rod left over for a handle, put some grooves in the loop and slide or rock the graver in the groove. The optivisor lens is mounted away from my eyes more so I don't have to get as close to the work, simple as that.
Mark the chisels are M2 high speed steel, 3/16 square. Most industrial catalogs that have machining sections will carry these. They come pre-hardened so grind slowly with water to dip in.

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
Wonderful video, just curious what your chisels are made from? I've never trusted myself to use a rotary tool on things, probably because it isn't a high speed like the ones you're using. I love H/C work but to be competitive today the air assist sure helps.
Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You make me want to grab my hammer & chisel, Steve! I really enjoyed watching you cut. Thanks for sharing this video and I'm looking forward to the sequel :)

jackhammer

Thanks for the information. I am a new member and finally managed to get my hands on some nickels the other day. 10 buffalo nickels, a few dateless ones with which I intend to start this hobby. Now I just need to find the tools.

Latest posts

Sponsors