Oakleave

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I was informed this morning that a student and good friend Bernie Charlemagne died in a plane crash,I talked to his wife and Bernie will be flown back to Germany to be buried.Bernie was a fun loving guy and was always up beat,this is a very sad day. J.J.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is very sad news, sorry for the loss of a good friend J.J. and my condolences to you and Bernies family.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I met Bernie at Scott's Engrave-In in 2013. He was a fun guy to talk with because he had so many varied interests and was enthusiastic about all of them. He called me this summer to tell me that he was going on a trip to Germany and Austria and wanted to know if I wanted him to pick up anything. During the trip he visited with Hendrik Frühauf in Germany and Martin Strolz in Austria. Bernie was an aviation expert and professional flight instructor. He will be sadly missed by all of his friends in the engraving community.

Attachments

• Bernhard Helmut Charlemagne b.1965 d.11-8-14.jpg
    Bernhard Helmut Charlemagne b.1965 d.11-8-14.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 560

JJ Roberts

Roger,My wife and I will drive up to Fredrick,Md. on Friday to visit Bernie's wife,I'm very sadden at losing Bernie at such a young age of 49. we had some great times together. J.J.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
As Roger already mentioned, Bernie visited me in Steyr from September 12th to 14th during his trip through Europe. He was in Suhl and in Ferlach and stopped by in Steyr for a weekend. I showed him the school and I did some demonstration work for him as he was quite serious about improving his engraving. He much looked forward to this weekend as he wished to fly with me in a glider. We were at the airfield and I showed him around, but unfortunately the weather did not permit flying.
On September 28th he wrote me an email, that there was a black day in Frederick as there was a mid air collision.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...rick-Helicopter-Plane-Thursday-280228122.html

He was supposed to fly there that day, but his student cancelled. Maybe it was the same student that now was with him as he died. It is very hard to believe how they could come in a situation or having such severe problems that could not be corrected in time. Bernie was such an extremely accomplished pilot.
Airline Transport Pilot fixed wing and helicopter
FAA Gold Seal Flight Instructor, single, multi and instrument
FAA certificated Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic, Inspection Authorization

The message of the sad tragedy can be found here.http://www.newsleader.com/story/news/local/2014/11/10/plane-crash-victim-identified/18809903/
Online condolence book here:
http://www.staufferfuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=509636

I am glad I met him, we had a good time together. J.J. please deliver my heartfelt condolences to his wife.

The pictures show Bernie on a low pass in a Diamond DA 40 and while checking a pipeline.

Attachments

• Bernie Charlemange 2.jpg
    Bernie Charlemange 2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Bernie Charlemange 1.jpg
    Bernie Charlemange 1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 549
  • da42stop.jpg
    da42stop.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 548
  • da42pipeline.jpg
    da42pipeline.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 549

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Sad day indeed, the crash was only a few miles from my home and since I don't have TV or get the newspaper only saw a blip on the net about the crash. I found out today it was our friend Bernie, I for one will raise a glass to his friendship and exuberance for life.
Mark

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ. Please pass my condolences to Irene. I had just spoken to Bernie late last week. I will truly miss him.

monk

Staff member
jj: sorry to hear of your friends' death. especially sad at his young age. your pal sounds like a quite interesting person to know and have for a friend.

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
This is very sad to here. Bernie and I met at the 2014 engrave in and became fast friends. His interest and intensity for learning everything was a result of being with people from all walks of life. Prayers for he and his family.
Todd

JJ Roberts

My wife and I drove to Fredrick Md. on Friday to pay our condolences to Bernie's wife.Irene flew Bernie back to Germany to his home town of Calone for burial. Bernie made many friends in the 49 years of his life. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Martin,Thank you for sharing the article with me and many of Bernie's friends on the forum. J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now, two years after the accident "The Washington Post" published a detailed story. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...583754-a854-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html

Man, that was a tough read! I met Bernie at the Ken Hurst Engrave-In and immediately liked him. He could talk intelligently on just about any subject and with authority. His engraving wasn't bad either.

Reading the story of the crash was especially heart rending for me, as my father was killed in a private plane crash in 1961. He was flying to Mississippi from Florida to visit his parents, planning to land in a field near their rural home. After leaving Pensacola heading west, he encountered severe weather which enveloped him completely, cutting off all visibility. He knew where he was (his parents heard his airplane in the storm but didn't know it was him) and kept the plane aloft until it ran out of fuel. The Coast Guard rescue plane spotted him several times but the weather was extremely severe and they lost sight of him as fast as they had seen him. Long story short, he hit the ground at a 73 degree angle, killing him instantly, and it took three days to find him. It was our church family that kept all of us from going insane over not knowing anything during that time. The only good thing we learned, he didn't suffer. Of course, the funeral was closed casket so we had no real closure.

Bernie was a unique and interesting fellow and is still missed by those that knew him. Thanks for the article.

Latest posts

Sponsors