NTG gravers

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I searched for these here (and tried New Traditional also) but neither turned up anything specific. Does anyone have experience with these gravers? Specifically, which handle are you using? I have the red, yellow and blue burin handle set and these don't fit. Are the thermoloc handles my best bet?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those work best by driving them into a wooden handle which can be bought from just about any jewelry tool supplier like Gesswein, rio grande, or Stuller

I'd suggest trying a couple of different shapes of handles.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Get the wooden ones with a flat side - this goes at the bottom of the graver so that you can get lower angles and so that the graver won't roll off your bench. From memory, and I expect to be told if I am wrong, but you will probably have to prepare the handle by drilling a hole where the graver will go, put the graver in a vice with the cutting end down, heat the other end with a torch and drive the handle onto the graver with a mallet.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
image.jpg

I saw these at Contenti and will probably go with them. Iike the idea of them being adjustable and having a set screw lock as opposed to an interference fit. Being new to the game, I don't yet know all the suppliers but that's why I came to you guys... Y'all have ALL the answers!!;)

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I use a number of handles.
One of the ones I find myself using frequently is the Ngraver Number 2 which is a hand push, collet type but with a steel core so it can double as a chisel style holder as needed. It is heavier but not overly so and for what it is the price is competitive with traditional wood push handles.
Here's the link:
http://www.ngraver.com/tools.htm
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
View attachment 39027

I saw these at Contenti and will probably go with them. Iike the idea of them being adjustable and having a set screw lock as opposed to an interference fit. Being new to the game, I don't yet know all the suppliers but that's why I came to you guys... Y'all have ALL the answers!!;)[/QUOTE
i use several different handles. including the old, wood type. all produce a differing feel. i've even made several based on the newer , store-bought holders. they all prove useful, depending on what i want to do. the handles, like gravers-- best to have too many, rather than too few.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Contenti handles coming my way and will review them here. I had bought the NTG graver set from GRS and am really excited about having some variety in my arsenal. I'm really not ready to get too far away from basics yet but again... Where tools go I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Bluetick, you will soon find that buying and collecting engraving tools gets just as addicting as the engraving itself. I have amassed loads of engraving tools that I will never use but also probably never get rid of either. That can probably be said for most of the engravers out there.