Not my Engraving

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
OK, not my engraving. What I did do is rust blue the two barrels. One is in 22LR, the other is 410 shotgun.
About all I know is that it was still in the white,
" Made in Belgium" With "Griffin & Howe New York"
engraved on the barrels. I put a satin bath nickle plate on the receiver. Bright nickle on the extractors, breach and lumps. Yup that is what the locking lugs thingys are under the barrel.

I thought it turned out OK.

The engraving has a nice effect to it. But It looks like it was done on a budget.

Attachments

• IMG_3854B.JPG
    IMG_3854B.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3871.JPG
    IMG_3871.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 198

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it looks EXCELLENT. I like the layout very much. I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like a "budget" job to me?

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That came out real nice. It looks llike a very good engraving job as well-not a budget job. Does it appear unfired?-Soome very big names worked for Griffin Howe. Fun job I will wager-Fred

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree - including that it's 'budget' engraving only if you're comparing to some of the things like Roland Baptise's full coverage, or some of Phil Coggan's work.

I'd call something that nice something other than 'budget' but I'm having trouble finding just the right word. 'Modest', 'Reasonable', 'Regular' - none of them feels quite right.

I think the problem is that these days there isn't a whole lot of what used to be normal engraving. Those who really want something really engraved but have small budgets get something simple from a new engraver and those who can afford it get the kind of beautiful full-coverage stuff we love to see here.

About all we see done between the extremes these days are pistols.

BTW, from the small portions we see of them, it looks like the barrels came out beautiful! :thumbs up:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Background removal, especially with a hammer and chisel, is far from "budget" engraving regardless of style or extent of coverage.

Steve, the descriptive words you are looking for is "reality work". .... which is probably as much as the guy that engraved it could do and actually get paid well for it. It's also the type of work thousands of engravers do in the real world and rarely ever post here in fantasy land.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors