Not engraving, or much of anything, for that matter

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
We will be vending our Jewelry, mostly Celtic in Solver and gold, including a couple hundred hand engraved pieces at the Seattle Highland Games, in Enumclaw, WA, this Saturday and Sunday. I know there are a few Cafe members from the westside of WA state, so thought I would give a shout out. If anybody is looking for a fun time, the Highland Games are a blast. Come by and say HI! We will be busy, but can almost always find time to say hello and exchange a few pleasantries.
We are located outside, between the two exhibitor halls, conveniently located adjacent to food row and next to the indoor beer garden. (Also next to a row of porta-potties, but normally that's not a problem)!
Hope to meet you this weekend,

Will

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Will, how do you build an inventory of a couple hundred engraved pieces and keep up with the everyday stuff at the store?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Most of the engraved pieces are less expensive. I have a selection of hand engraved Earrings, in Sterling Silver at $79/pr. Nickel money clips are $40-$60 dollars. Of course I also have a few $2000 pieces and up.
Mostly I have to keep up with repairs and I am a competent bench jeweler, so that isn't too hard. I have to design, carve and finish custom waxes for 'made-to-order' pieces, and I have to come up with unique designs to attract my clientele.
Usually what that means is that, when I get a little bit of a lull, or slack time, I will lay out and engrave a dozen pairs of earrings, or fabricate 4-6 granulated pieces. Whatever. I just keep making things. Sooner or later I will come up with that one thing that people can't resist. Until then, I make things, expand my inventory, and just keep on working.
My wife does most of the office work, does our pearl and bead restringing as well as new beaded necklace/bracelets. She is learning to enamel, and hopes to do some cloissone' and several of the other styles, but first, just color over some of my engraving. Of course, since most of my engraving is in Sterling Silver and/or 14K gold, it means that I have to engrave .999 silver and higher karat gold.
I basically show up at the store 5 days a week, more if needed, and work...but I enjoy what I do, so it works out.
Thanks for asking!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The weather was great...low 70's and mostly overcast, no rain and no wind. Estimated turnout for the 2 days of around 30,000 so a lot of people seeing our wares. We had many come back to thank us for previous purchases, some bringing friends to become new clients. We had a finacially viable weekend, easily covering expenses, and making a profit. Many more have said they will contact us for custom etc. That is always a wait and see, but we have had $2000 sales over a year after, so the exposure is worth it.
We did get to meet a few other engravers, and it's always nice to talk shop, be recognized and complimented on ones work!
This coming Saturday at the Spokane Highland Games, Spokane County Fairgrounds. I expect it will be mis 90's, so probably won't wear the wool kilt...might wear the utilikilt, it's lets some air flow. Hope it's 1/2 as good.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Most of our sales are in lost wax cast Celtic rings, with genuine gemstones, in Sterling . We sold a heavy Gents wedding band in 14K, a hand made SS Bracelet, an open weave design, several pairs of earrings, engraved and cast. A couple pairs of fabricated SS earrings with granulation. Lots of interest in everything.
My general expectation at a show, especially at a Highland games (where we have a niche with the Celtic Jewelry) is that we should sell to about .01% of the gate. That would amount to 1 sale per thousand people. For every ten sales we make, we hope to have one sale in gold or a 'big' ticket item. We had 23 sales total, one the heavy gents ring in gold, and the heavy fabricated SS bracelet, which both were 'bigger' ticket items...the ring for $1400 and the bracelet for $400. Most of our sales run from $75-$125.00, an average price of about $100.00.
Takes a lot of work, but that's what I do!