North Amercan Arms

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Has any one engraved a north amercan arms mini 22 pistol and if so how are they to engrave?
Thanks a bunch
Steve

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've heard conflicting reports. I have done 2 and both were miserably hard. Others have said they were fine. The only bright note is that they are so small you don't have to suffer forever.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
LOL ok i have one and was going to expirament on it.....but mabey ill just leave it alone.
thanks guys
Steve

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I cut one many years ago, but I can't remember if it was a Freedom Arms or a North American. What I DO remember was abondoning the job and filing off the backstrap (where I had started) and repolishing it. Very stubborn steel.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't remember the brand name, but the customer told me this thing "snap fit" somehow onto the front of a belt buckle that was wearable. fortunately all i had to do was 2 initials. it was semi difficult to do. i would never do another.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
My co. employees engraved some Freedom Arms for the factory. A few months later I received a letter from a lawyer advising me my co. was being sued. Seems the cyl. blew up when it was fired ---- probably due to the hard steel. I later engraved one for my cousin , just barely cutting the cyl. I mean really Light cuts. On firing the second round, the cyl blew. Never again !! Ken

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engrave a pair of the 22 mag. as spec pieces-sold the pair and have not heard form buyer-They did not seem to hard but I had never done a gun before so they were very hard to me-worked out and they looked nice when finished-Fred

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ihave done maybe 15-20 of these North American minis from just scroll jobs to showpieces like the famous Tut set. Also done some factory work for NAA as well. They were all medium hard to too darn hard. Usually the cylinders are extra hard so be warned. They are not pleasant to cut, but nice looking guns that to me are worth the effort for a fine engraving job.

Unless you are serious watchmaker, I would for sure recomment that you don't take them apart. They are are a royal Bi*** to put back together, and I am a pretty fair gunsmith. You really need a factory jig to do it without loosing your sanity. I have learned to fill all the holes, cracks and entry points for dust, shavings or grime with heavy grease, and engrave them assembled. Life is more fun that way.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Scott: Consider adding your comments about the NAA guns in the Gun List thread.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks every body for your comments, I agree Scott they are nice lookin little guns and i love mine but i think ill wait till im a better engraver before i try it.
Thanks again everybody for your help,I appercaite it.
Steve

AllanFink1960

Ken Hurst. I dont engrave guns but with all the guys on here cutting into the steel of gun barrels I always wondered if that ever happened. I would kinda like to see the guns after the accidents.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engraved a NAA .22 long rifle quite a few years ago and almost swore off engraving! The steel was very hard and I broke tips constantly, almost to the point of wondering if my geometry was off. I promised myself I would never do another one, but am thinking about backing out of that promise. They are a neat little gun and I want to do one for myself and carry it (with permission, of course) as an example of my work. Naturally, should someone want me to engrave one, the price would be about 20% higher than for steel.

Latest posts

Sponsors