Nickle Silver Problem

Hi All1
I tried to post this question this mourning and it just disappeared WOOOSH then ......Nothing.
Well enough of the melodramatics. I made a bolster out of NS in order to engrave. I practiced on brass I thought Nickel not to hard, Silver pretty soft so I thought brass Nope. When I started on the knife my
graver would just stop. I would have to change my angle of attack to get it to move. It seamed as if the NS was not mixed properly. Is that possible? I resharpened at different face and heel angels but to no avail.
I tried 45,50, and 55 degree face with a 17 1/2,and 15 degree heel. I have your sharpening video Sam so I put a small heel on them too. Anyone have similar problems? I am a novice so maybe it is just me doing something wrong.
I have one other question. I recently discovered that cutting fluid on the graver face helps . What do you folks use if you do? Thanks all for your help. I hope you realize how much you are doing to the art move forward. Thanks again,
Rick

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Nickel silver doesn't have any silver in it. It gets its name from looking like silver and is usually made from nickel and copper, and its pretty tough stuff, very hard to cut. You can try to pump up your face angle to 60 degrees, the heel angle doesn't matter ; but I don't think that would help much.

I'd put this piece aside as a learning experience and find a more suitable metal to work on.

Allan

Thanks for the info. I am sorry about posting this question twice. I thought it didn't post so a few hours after trying to post I rewrote it . As soon as I uploaded the new one the old one posted.
Sorry about any confusion.
Rick

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you're living in an age when you find lead in your toothpaste. don't hold too high an expectation for metals used by lowly artists and craftspersons !

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Then to add insult to injury. If you leave nickel silver uncoated, it combine with oxygen in the air, I think.
Then it turns green. You could either electro plate it or lacquer it.