Nicely sculpted acanthus

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank goodness our cellphones have decent cameras. Abigail and I were browsing an antique store yesterday and I spotted this beautifully sculpted acanthus on a old headboard. I suspect it's from Europe but I'm not sure. Anyway, the quality of design and the chasing is super nice. I'm also a big fan of the progression marks on this type of work.

The size is around 7.5cm or 3-inches.

acanthus.jpg acanthus_detail.jpg

mrthe

Very nice Sam , i had bought time ago in a antiquarian market in Barcelona a old large picture frame with an interesting sculpted scroll work maybe i will post some pictures when i will have a decent internet connection, thank you for share!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm beginning to understand why some of the phones cost so much; it's amazing such detail can be captured by these marvels of engineering. what was the approximate size of the work that you photographed ? that's really a great looking piece of work.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Monk: it was around 3" or so. Pretty darn good photos for a cellphone (iPhone 4S to be exact). The closeup is the same photo only a 100% crop.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no apparent image loss with the crop. amazing, is it not ? thanks for the reply.

Andrew Biggs

I have 2 digital cameras.......and my I-Phone 4s has better specifications than both of them.

I do like the paparazzi flash that Neal posted...........it makes a bold statement :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I have 2 digital cameras.......and my I-Phone 4s has better specifications than both of them.
Specs, or actual performance? I've seen a lot of cases where digital cameras may have fantastic specs but a poor quality or too small diameter lens, so that limits what they can actually do. Years ago I had a 1.3 megapixel camera that was outperfoming 5 megapixel cameras simply because of the high quality large glass lens.

That paparazzi flash is definitely a must-have fashion accessory for the well dressed photographer!

Latest posts

Sponsors