willpres

ok how did everyone get started? Money, time ect. just wondering, i have started in wood with grs 850 hand peice and done one Aluminum practice peice by Sam's design but would love to see cleaner lines. hard to do with roarty tool.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 193

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rotary tools have a place in the shop of most engravers. it's also to be said, most engravers use this tool only in unusual circumstances. like when large areas have to be cut away, leaving other areas somewhat raised. even the best of the rotary tools are usually regarded as not the "way to do things". of the hundreds of images in the archive, very few were done with rotary tools. i feel safe in saying most of us would not use these tools for detail work. the 2 exceptions-- certain types of wood carving, and detail work on glass. jm2cw

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I started working as a jeweler in 1985, and went to GIA in Santa Monica, in 1987 to become a Graduate Gemologist. While there I took several additional 1 week courses, in repair and setting, including bead and bright cut setting. I attempted to engrave, push tools only and hand sharpened, for another 15 years. I finally spent the money to go to GRS and took a 1 week class with Sam, bought a gravermax, scope and power hone used, and a dual angle new. When I left I knew how to engrave...it was basic, but could embellish jewelry enough to include that aspect in my work. 2 years later I took a GRS course on western bright cut with Diane Scalese. Most of my work is a combination of the 2 styles. Every time I engrave I try to improve, but constantly battle with keeping it afforable. In 2008 my employer passed away and in 2009 I opened my own jewelry shop. The engraving is a significant part of what keeps us going. I appear to be the primary hand engraver in a city of 250,000 and get a fair amount of inside ring engraving, my weakest skill, but one I do work at and practice. I try to be diligent and improve with each piece. I have a rotary 850, and have used it 3 times in the last 4 years.
Will

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome!!!! You you might be getting the bug to learn!! Please go to the beginners sections here and you will pick up lots of tips on getting you going in a better direction. Stick around here and you will definitely learn ,happy journey!!!

leo

Elite Cafe Member
just remember don't try to leap baby steps first and one thing at the time don't try to learn everything in one day and welcome to the forum

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice sculpting with the 850. You obviously have the eye for this and that is a big part of the battle. Like others have said. Take baby steps and remember the pencil is your best friend and tool. I'd recommend reading the recent post about the problems new engravers face.
Good luck!
Layne

willpres

Nice sculpting with the 850. You obviously have the eye for this and that is a big part of the battle. Like others have said. Take baby steps and remember the pencil is your best friend and tool. I'd recommend reading the recent post about the problems new engravers face.
Good luck!
Layne

thanks to all, but will have to wait until the money comes around. I will read and study until then.

Is it ok to post other projects , since i do not have "true" engraver?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's ok in my book. who's to say, we might get some ideas from what you do.

Latest posts

Sponsors