Newb giving engraving a shot

Herderz

First off forgive my ignorance to the trade. Just a little back story, I was an art major many years ago and have always in my life loved to explore many different media my life. I have most of the time been able to challenge new things because I have always been able to see what I wanted something to be rather than what I have in front of me. Most recently I have been doing antique clock restoration and repair for about 12 years now. That being said, a gun smith friend of mine after repairing a couple clocks for him said I should look into engraving after doing some detailed parts fabrication for him on small parts him was not able to do. He said that I had the patience for detail and would probably be good at it. Sounded like a new challenge so I started to look into it through this forum and others.

The start showed me that there are many options as to how engraving is done. Most not that cheap to start, so I though what did the masters do? I do old school clock repair by hand with basic tools of the trade. I could spend a lot of money for fancy modern tools but I don't. Most of my tools are antique. First I bought James Meeks book, great read. I have started with a square lathe graver that took me a while to hone on diamond plates per Mr. Meeks. I made me a brass "chasing hammer" from brass stock I had. Also a dimpling chisel from a 1/16 punch I had. (See pic #1)

Next, practice plates? Well I can see why but I am 60 years young and do not have as much time as younger people to the trade so I did one plate mainly understand how to sharpen the graver that I had and do some type of scroll. I opted to learn on the fly. Control of the graver was a challenge at first being that it was just 4 3/4 in. long took a little getting use to. The weight of my hammer with a little adapting got me into the light taps need for clean cuts and curves although not perfect by any means. (See pic #2) I don't have a real graver for the trade.

I laid out my design in pencil on paper and transfered to a new Winchester knife that I had on hand. 40 hours later with many adjustments to the curve this is what I came out with. (See pic # 3&4) I will not be offended if you laugh a little, but I think this will be something I will pursue in the future. I still don't know what is the best route going forward.

Thanks your time if you are reading this post.

Attachments

• 20200411_150501.jpg
    20200411_150501.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200411_150555.jpg
    20200411_150555.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200411_150658.jpg
    20200411_150658.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200411_150719.jpg
    20200411_150719.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 88

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum.
your hammer is probably too heavy. the handle or shaft should be perhaps 10" or so, and not so thick. such enables better control while cutting. remember, you're not pounding nails! your scroll are in need of correction. you want a smooth scroll, with no lumps, bumps, or flatt spots. practice them until you get them as perfect as possible.
also, it's possible to engrave with a lathe blank. possible, but not practical. when resharpening. just too much metal to remove. the chisel length (including handle) should be 6" or so. whatever is best for your hand. good luck in this adventure.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
You've clearly got a knack. Best advice I would give anyone starting out is to take a basic engraving class at the GRS Training Center in Emporia KS.

Best instructors, and instruction in the world a beginning student can get in a one week course, bar none.

At 60, or 40, or even 20, it's worth it to spend a week there, and save yourself years of trial and error learning.

ETA: I should qualify the above by saying that GRS is not the only avenue for learning this craft. It is simply what worked best for me. There are excellent resources, and a world of expertise right here as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors