New Vairiable speed powerhone for under $100.00.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thought I would post this Idea for something to think about. The only modifications are that I cut the pipe on the stand down and made a new guide pin for the sharpening fixture and bolted to the table.I had a foot switch already and also added it for easy on/off.

new powerhone.jpg

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love those kind of ideas and creative use of tools. I have quite a collection of these tools myself, build for one job like this one is for drilling holes, but used for something else

arnaud

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

Nice, it works and that's fine, but mine cost 50 cents, see photo. Any local heating engineer will have a ton of these 1/2 inch shalt fan motors lying around from old jobs. They sit upright. Slip some of your old magazines underneath the motor to raise the lap, level with your slow diamond lap.

Done.

The aluminum block clinging with super magnets to the side of the hone, can be snapped onto the top of the power hone to give the required 'Lindsay' 1/2 inch height for his sharpening templates, so you can use either system. The added motor is reversible, with no reversing switch needed, throw away the capacitor that comes with these induction motors, then simply spin the lap gently in one direction or the other with your finger, then switch on, and the motor powers up in the direction of your initial spin.

The little gizmo sticking out on the left side of the power hone is a demagnetizer fitted with a push button switch. It is a $7 bathroom fan motor stator, throw away the rotor. It is right where you need it when you finish sharpening.

Reno ? Elko? Both?

Rod

Attachments

• dave.jpg
    dave.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The real trick is finding one of these cheap presses that has a true chuck.

I've fooled with a couple of them before I found one that did.

And everything IS going up in price. They are now $89 at Harbor Freight.

When I bought 3 of them back mebee 10 years ago they were $39 each...

All are still working fine, but only one is used for sharpening. Eventually changed the chucks on the other two.

Brian

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The real trick is finding one of these cheap presses that has a true chuck.

I've fooled with a couple of them before I found one that did.

And everything IS going up in price. They are now $89 at Harbor Freight.

When I bought 3 of them back mebee 10 years ago they were $39 each...

All are still working fine, but only one is used for sharpening. Eventually changed the chucks on the other two.

Brian

Can you post a part number for the press you're talking about on Harbor Freight

sent from my S3 using tapatalk 2 great app for forums

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Azteca, You can buy the smallest, cheapest one. I bought the lindsay fixture that fits into the chuck and grind away. You have t watch the heat with HSS gravers though. I dont know if the link will play here. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=514558198605890

Link works fine second time around so to sharpen a blank what grade of disc do you recommend

sent from my S3 using tapatalk 2 great app for forums

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Drill

1/16" thick 6" Diameter Diamond Sharpening Laps *
Will replace laps on power hones originally* supplied with 5" diameter laps.

And

Lap Mandrel Adapter
for converting a drill press to a power hone.

Is this all I need to sharpen a blank square graver and of course the drill press

Both are on Lindsay cataloge

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can buy diamond laps on eBay for dirt cheap! Just do a search. Also lapcraft has really nice laps.

I have 180, 260, 600, 1200, 3000 and ceramic

Mostly use the 600, 1200 and ceramic with 50000 grit diamond spray.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a 100 grit on the drill press set up. I use it just for hogging off the excess on the top facets then go to the power hone with 260 then 1200. I finish with the 2000 bench stone for the heel. All of that is for shaping a new graver blank. For resharpening I just use the bench stones.

Latest posts

Sponsors