New User

Dragonslayer

Hi, My name is Bruce Bottomley and I am interested in doing some engraving on some of the jewelry I make and sell. I have the Magnagraver which I also use as a Hammer for my flex shaft. I enjoy making rings and southwest american style Jewelry. I just started flush setting and tube setting gem stones.

This forum is a wealth of information. It is so vast that it would take weeks to just view the information. I do have a question, are there books or internet information on engraving rings and flat jewelry pieces out there. What type of (size) of engravers should I start with.

I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks
Bruce

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
grs sells a good selection of gravers and supplies. flats, squares, liners, rounds, onglettes, it all depends on how you're going to do the work.if you like books, there's no better than the james b meeks book. for tapes and dvd, grs has a truckload of training videos on most of the disciplines involved in the art of engraving.
for jewelry, i'd start with the smaller size flats for brite cuts. and generally the smaller sizes for most other jewelry work. you will learn much just by checking the forum as much as you can. there are several lifetimes of experience there just for the asking. good luck

Dragonslayer

Thanks Monk

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I just got in the GRS catalog. Look forward to posting my first piece sometime in the future.

Thanks
Bruce

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Bruce - First, I would like to welcome you to the forum. Next, You mentioned that you are interested in southwest american style Jewelry. I believe that that style is what we call bright cut. One of the best DVD's on that subject is available from FEGA at www.fega.com the title is "Western Bright Cut", by Diane Scalese.

Mike

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Bruce! Welcome to the forum. We have a large "Cafe Book List" in the "Tips Archive" section of the forum. It's the 3rd sticky in the Tips section and contains many books that the members have suggested as helpful. :)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Bruce, come in, sit down, get a cup, and pull up a chair....Ron S

deedubbya

Hi Bruce, and welcome
I have found the cafe to be a wealth of information not to mention the years of experience you can tap into.
A site called "SmartFlix" offers a ton of DVD's that can be rented.
Good Luck

Dragonslayer

Thanks

To all thanks for the warm welcome. As recommended by all I am doing my reseach on this site and finding a wealth of information. I appreciate all the help I have received so far.
Thanks
Bruce

Latest posts

Sponsors