New scan tech

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not sure what i'd use it for, but i want one!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh my! I've got the itch for this puppy right now! The fact that it can immediately transform the sketch to a VECTOR, without extraneous scanning or "tracing" programs may be worth the price of admission right there! It's supposed to come out this month at a cost of $199. I, like Sam, would like to test this gadget before buying.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I might order one if I can return it if I don't like it. It certainly looks awesome.

The problem with loose sketching to vector is that each time you draw and lift the pen you've created a new path with multiple editable control points. This could end up being hundreds of paths that might be difficult to deal with IF you're looking to achieve sharp, non-sketchy artwork. What I'm thinking...and this is just thinking because I've not tried Inkling yet...is that a good way might be to sketch with pencil first, then TRACE your drawing with Inkling to minimize all the paths for a cleaner output. In any event, this appears to be a significant advancement by Wacom and I can only imagine how good it's going to get.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Oo Oo Oo! (monkey moment)
I like that very much.
Not 100% sure why, but as the man says, it is my birthday soon...! Well, July anyway! :)

Jo

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"a good way might be to sketch with pencil first, then TRACE your drawing with Inkling to minimize all the paths for a cleaner output."

my thoughts exactly, Sam. any first draft of mine would be a morass of chicken scratches- a single scroll would end up being a 20Mb file!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm anxious to try one of these. I'm sure some of the dealers will have a 30-day return. I have a Wacom Cintiq which is as close to drawing on paper as it gets. It'll be interesting to see how this $200 device stacks up against the $2000 one. :thinking:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I nominate you to do a review and of course instructional Video (for a fee of course-got to make a living). If it works as advertised what a boon to engraving design. I can see a course on this type of technology in the future. I think that is one area neglected by all of the training programs I am aware of. Food for though. There have been some excellent tutorials on the subject here and other engraving forums. But a curriculum specific to the use of various software products is lacking I think.

Andrew Biggs

For $200 it's as cheap as you can get and being from Wacom it should be a quality product. From what I can see there would be a potential problem if you were using multiple pieces of paper to work the design. Seldom is a design started and finished on the one piece of paper. Having said that...............I want one!!!!

However you can do all that now but in a bit more round about way.

Draw, overlay tracing paper and trace with good quality black pen. Scan and vectorize in Corel/Illustrator/whatever. It's not that hard depending on exactly what your end use is going to be.

Cheers
Andrew