New ring.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Hand carved-Hand made ring by myself, 14KW gold (.92) Diamond F VS2 with (.01) accents bead set. I liked how this turned out. Feedback would be great, thanks for looking.

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 235

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I’m not an “Atta Boyâ€￾ and sure I’m not chasing some.

About the design of the ring, if instead of the central stone, if it was a flower with some 1 mm stones like on the other parts of the ring, it would have been in balance.
But to me, the central stone, squares shape, is lost in the design.
The whole ring should make the central stone pop out, and to me it doesn’t.

besides that, nice work.

arnaud

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
I’m not an “Atta Boyâ€￾ and sure I’m not chasing some.

About the design of the ring, if instead of the central stone, if it was a flower with some 1 mm stones like on the other parts of the ring, it would have been in balance.
But to me, the central stone, squares shape, is lost in the design.
The whole ring should make the central stone pop out, and to me it doesn’t.

besides that, nice work.

arnaud

When working with my clients, I listen to what they desire. I would have preferred to use a round diamond in the design, but they wanted a radiant cut. To me the diamond is the flower/center piece. I am unsure of the "ATTA Boy" . I work by myself and this is a way in which I can share my work with other professionals. I know it does not comapre to the high level of engraving- but it is still fun to share.

Thanks,

Jake

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Jake,

Think of Arnaud as your Dutch Uncle, what he means by “atta boy†is: telling you ‘that looks great, keep it up’ doesn’t help you grow your art or business. So in an attempt to help expand your horizons or steer you in the best direction advice is offered along with praise for the positive parts. I would consider it an honor to have others take the time to try to help, but there is no pain in a pat on the back, no? This forum would soon become a lonely place if only the masters posted their finished work, so please share. Here I’ll offer some non atta boy advice, perhaps the next time a customer requests a off the wall design ask in the forum if anyone has advice, then if they have a problem later you can say ‘where were you?’. It is a nice ring by the way, I’d be proud if I had made it.

Bob

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like you done some nice work there, however i kind of agree with Arnaud about the centre.
Maybe i would have been abit more artistic with the centre setting, for example filing a "V" or somehow making it look more delicate to match the rest of it abit more?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you did a nice job on the ring. If the customer wanted the center set upside down you have to go with it. I've seen people win awards with stones set upside down. If your customer is happy then that will bring you more. They'll talk you up. Good job. I may have tried to talk them into a Tulip setting in the center.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
I think you did a nice job on the ring. If the customer wanted the center set upside down you have to go with it. I've seen people win awards with stones set upside down. If your customer is happy then that will bring you more. They'll talk you up. Good job. I may have tried to talk them into a Tulip setting in the center.

A tulip would have looked great! My customer did not want prong's, they wanted a low profile ring. They loved the ring when they picked it up. They had a say from start to finish. When viewing the wax carving - to picking the diamond. A happy customer is a great customer.

Thanks
Jake

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you did a nice job. Give 'em what they want, is my motto! In a perfect world, the customer allows the artist freedom to do as they choose. In the REAL WORLD of retail jewelry design and manufacture, that rarely happens

frank g

Nice running leaf on the shank and the bead work looks good as well, beads all the same size and well positioned. Personally I would have extended the partial bezel, on the center stone, around the corners to accent the radiant cut and fill in some of the empty space between the center stone and the floral design.This would also make the center stone more secure by protecting the the exposed corners. My choice. Frank

Latest posts

Sponsors