New Practice Piece

Steveareno

New practice piece, Sterling Hair-clip

I’m practicing on my western bright cut. Hand push with flat, liner, and square gravers. I’m keeping it pretty basic as I get use to the technique and the gravers. Comments and advice welcome.

Thanks
Steve Shepherd

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good to me, but I'm no expert. Heck my silver belt buckle tread has over 200 views and only one person commented. So either my bright cut looks like $hit or there's a lot of bashful folks that look and don't post.

Steveareno

Thanks Bert.

Brian- every time I try to cross shade I mess it up. Where would you recommend I place it? I only have two liners that Gordon Hayes gave me a couple years back and don’t even know the numbers on them; they must have gotten ground off.

Steve

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I looks real nice to me. Don't know enough about bright cut to comment on the style but the cutting is clean and bright. Good job. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Where the scrolls com out from "under" the flowers. Where the leaves come out from under the flowers. Up towards the top of scroll leaves...

I don't have an image to throw up for you.

There have to be some on here and on google - Images - Western style engraving...

B.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Go to google Images - type in Western hand engraving

At this moment, Brian Hochstrats demo plates are on the top left. Look at how the scroll leaves are shaded and then cross shaded.

5th image from the left is a TT buckle. Dunno who did that one?(Nice job if you are reading this) Perfect example!

You can see exactly what I meant about cross shading where scrolls come out from under, where leaves come out from under and the upper portion of the scroll leaves.

Dozens of other really nice examples as you scroll down too...

B.

Latest posts

Sponsors