New pistol engravings

Otto Carter

Elite Cafe Member
20 miles Southeast of Abilene, Texas on 22 acres.
Here are some photos of 2 recent jobs. You can check out more pictures of them on my website at www.ottocarter.com

Otto

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Absoutly beautiful work Otto. I really like the boarder treatment around the cylinder chambers and also the fish scaling on the derringer. Your website is also first rate. Thank-You for sharing
David

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very well done. I like the derringer a lot. I recall one you did a while back that was very fine also. Makes me WANT one!

Peter

JTR

Beautiful work, and a very nice web-site.
I really like the fish scaling, and am very curious how you created it?
John

Otto Carter

Elite Cafe Member
OK, I have to set it straight... it's SNAKE scales! I just cut a little horseshoe shape then take my airgraver and stipple in the shading. It's really quite simple. Bond Arms really targets (no pun intended) their marketing of this pistol for snake protection. So I thought it was an apt motif. I kinda have snakes on the brain. Last year I killed a 6 foot rattler in my driveway. I live in the boonies, south of Abilene, Texas.
Otto

glendikes

Otto,
Wow....the pics of the Smith 460 are fantastic. I especially like the cylinder treatment. After having taken Bill Janney's GRS stock carving class and trying fish scale carving, the snake scales look great. West Texas roots run deep!!!
Best Wishes,
Glen

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Otto
I,m wanting to try my hand at engraving a derringer, how hard is the metal on the bond arms derringer or maybe i should ask, how does it cut.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Otto, I really like the scroll on the lower barrel of the derringer where it flows very nicely in cue with the curve of the frame. well done. It all looks nice, but that's best I can see in the photos.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Billzach.
I engraved a Bond deringer for a friend and found it to be just fine.
Looking at the metal at first and knowing that it was cast, I had doubts.
I thought it might be like some of the cast Rugers, very hard.
But the little gun cut beautifully and I was a happy camper.
With your skill applied to one I can hardly wait to see you post pictures of it.
Should be some real eye candy!
Best regards, John B.

Otto Carter

Elite Cafe Member
Otto
I,m wanting to try my hand at engraving a derringer, how hard is the metal on the bond arms derringer or maybe i should ask, how does it cut.

I have found that the Bond Arms is the perfect metal to cut. It's plenty firm but nothing like a Red Label. I have never broken a point on these. That should say something! I love these little guns. Plus, they're made right down the road.

Latest posts

Sponsors