rpowers

Hi all,

I've been looking at the web site off and on for awhile and decided to join. I do alot of jewelry repair and some engraving , too. I know just enough to enjoy doing it and I like watching the Engraver's Cafe and learning more. I will try to share anything I know about engraving, but it won't be as much as I have learned
here.

I began to dable at engraving in my apartment at night with a victor engraving block, a graver, a crocker and an india oil stone, around '91 while working full time as a jewelry repairman. I'm self-taught and began with a copy of Alan Hardy's, The Jewelry Engraver's Manual and James Meeks', The Art of Engraving. I attended Boman Technical School in Lancaster,PA between '87 and '88, but I did not study the engraving course they had their at the time taught by Linda or Mel.

I also attended a semester at Paris Junior college in '86 where I met a guy by the name of Donald Jackson who was a jewelry engraver from New Orleans. He made pierced jewelry name tags and monogram rings. Interestingly, he did it all with a hammer and chisel while standing using a light touch. I always thought jewelers used a push graver while sitting ,so I didn't pay him much attenttion at the time. He was an incredibly talented guy.

I don't engrave guns, but I admire everyone's work here on the cafe. It's a real inspiration to look at some of the fine work being done today.

With warm regards,

Rex Powers

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Rex!

We're glad you joined. Our community is growing richer with each new member. All of us have different backgrounds, different paths and different skills - and we are all growing together. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you're most welcome here. that you don't engrave guns is no sin. not everyone does.your interest alone, is good enough. the fact that you engrave jewelry, great ! i personally feel everyone here on the forum not only learns, but also teaches. i'm sure you have a few secrets none of us have ever thought up. why not share them ?