New Hobo Nickels

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't posted anything here in a while. I have been studying sculpting and did a little sculpting on my Hobos.

Picture 10.jpg Picture 12.jpg 922505_515008195227557_790895057_o.jpg

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hobo Nickels

Keith,I agree with John,the Russian gents did have an influence on you.Looking good.:thumbsup: J.J.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
JJ and John They did help a lot with what they shared at the engrave in a couple of weeks ago. Always trying to get a better coin cut and I learned a lot. Good seeing you both at the North Carolina engrave in.:hammer: Thanks Monk It was a fun coin to cut and Im trying new textures in my carvings.

mrthe

About "Influences" we can say too that Keith is a reference for all the hobo carvers expecially for me ;)

konteil

Love seeing how they turn out. I just started doing them and i am really enjoying it. Making a set of nickels and buttons for one of my jackets. i dome them a bit and then engrave them and add a welded silver loop to the backs. my only question is where do you get that holder? I am using hard modeling wax on a lazy susan for it at the moment and it works ok but of the piece heats at all the wax releases it. any suggestions?

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Its a Lindsay nickel holder held in a GRS vise. Lindsay engraving sells the nickel holders. You can hot glue the coin to a piece of broom stick or block of wood, then hold that in a regular bench vise. If you want to see the set up I have, I live in Lincroft, NJ. I have made the buttons before as well and carved them into hobos. Have fun carving.