New guy microscope help?

SteveBal

Hi all- I'm new here, and new to engraving. I'm trying to put together some basics to get me started. I'm working on a limited budget, so much of what I have is used. My main question pertains to the microscope (which I have little knowledge about). I had a couple older scopes, only one of which might work, but not a very good scope. I just purchased an Olympus binocular scope with 4x zoom. The model is VMT – 4F. Eyepieces are GWH10x 23.

The optics are great, but even at 1x zoom, a nickel fills the entire view, and only gives me about three inches of working space between the scope and subject. So, I just seem to have too much magnification, and I don't know where to go from here. I see people talk about using a .5 Barlow lens to increase the working distance, but I'd have to find one, plus the extension tube the manual says I'd need for the .5.

No budget for a high-end scope. Is there any way I can make this one do the job?

Any help is appreciated.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. not sure about the extension tube, but the .5 objective will cut your power in half. the .5 also will double your working distance giving more clearance for your hand.
you have many things to get a grasp on. chief among them is developing good drawing skills. tool sharpening ranks right up there. practice must precede attempting to serve a client.
unless you're just a hobbyiest, you should also develop a good business plan.
check the tips for beginners and other info at the beginning of the forum. there's never been a better time to learn this art than now. lotsa videos, books, and naturally, good advice to be had right here.
btw: a .5 can be found on the bay. try used engraving tools. lotsa goodies there.

SteveBal

Thanks for the info Monk, you've given me some hope that I can make this work. I've spent much of my life bird carving, stone carving (small scale), scrimshaw, customizing knives and firearms, refinishing antique tools, etc. I also have a printing press that I want to produce engraved plates for, so adding some more ornamental work to my projects is exciting. I recently came across an old GraverMeister and a ball vise, so it has me all wound up. Looking forward to getting some knowledge from this group.

SteveBal

Ha! Just made an offer on it about two minutes ago. The only one I'm finding, so I hope I get it.

monk

Staff member
Thanks for the info Monk, you've given me some hope that I can make this work. I've spent much of my life bird carving, stone carving (small scale), scrimshaw, customizing knives and firearms, refinishing antique tools, etc. I also have a printing press that I want to produce engraved plates for, so adding some more ornamental work to my projects is exciting. I recently came across an old GraverMeister and a ball vise, so it has me all wound up. Looking forward to getting some knowledge from this group.
the graavermeister will serve you well for a long time. i wish automobiles were made like the standards of quality grs has maintained in its product line.

SteveBal

That's good to hear Monk. I was pleased to find one in great shape for $150. This one is older with the top speed of 1200, but I understand they made/make an upgrade that bumps the speed up. I didn't know where to look for something like that. Does GRS handle parts for Gravermeister?

monk

Staff member
sadly, a used meister goes for more bucks than i paid for mine new. i think i paid $425.00 for mine way back when. john rohner even answered the phone in those days. john was actually very helpful, and a great guy to talk to. you got a steal at that price.

SteveBal

Yeah, things have changed for sure. I think they get something like $450 for a tune-up on one now. Managed to contact a jeweler I used to work with and picked up an old ball vise for $30, so I'm doing well so far.

SteveBal

Just to follow up on this. I got my .5x lens and it seems to do the trick even without any extension tube. Much better! Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Sponsors