New GRS Inside ring holder

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Steve, Do you know when that will be available? I don't see it on the GRS site yet.

Sorry for hijacking the thread:eek:!

So as not to hijack the other thread any more, I'm starting a new one.

As mentioned in the other thread, GRS has a new version of their inside ring holder that's quite an improvemnt over the original one.

I picked it up at my Lettering class the week of September 20-24.

It's part number 004-735 and it's about $50. Contact your GRS sales rep and I'm sure they'll get you hooked up.

I don't have time right now for a full review and pictures but I'll try and run through the basics:

The new fixture is smaller, sort of an L shape with a knob sticking out of the back of the long part of the L. The lower (short) arm of the L has a hole through it that's just there for tooling purposes (I was told) and a pair of screws sticking out with the bottom of the heads level with the top of the short arm of the L. You can take them out if you want, but they're intended to act as a stop when you insert the bottom into your vise. I was told that it will work with the Benchmate vise but don't (and didn't) have one to confirm that. The screws not only let you index how it sets into the vise, they give you an axis to rotate it in the vise. The rotation is across the ring and while you may wonder why you'd need to do that with a ball vise the trick is that you can rotate it a full 90 degrees. That makes this one also a vertical holder for working on the side of the ring.

The post the ring sits on is now a hex bolt. The fixture and the cones are indexed to the hex bolt. The 'permanent' cone is aluminum and press fitted in so you are not going to take it out to use dropped into your vise the way Sam shows using the cone from the original fixture. But you don't need to because of that handy knob that lets you loosen / adjust as you wish.

The collets have been redesigned. Now they look like they're made to expand - they're kind of a set of T shapes around the circle. The split comes between the tops of two of the T's. The little T's really lock well into the ring. Take this shape and bend it round for an idea: T T T T T T (actually about a half space between the T's).

The center holes of the collets have three dents to line up with teeth - lay a triangle over a circle and then round off the points of the triangle.

The 'floating' cones - the one that you put on the bolt to drive the collet open against the inside of the ring come in two flavors. There's a 'smooth' cone that lets the ring rotate, based on how tight you have the knob turned. Note that on a brand new holder it may be a bit stiff / sticky at first - the one I used in the class had been used enough to be smooth.

The interesting cone is the other one. It's a locking cone. It has the three teeth that lock into the center of the collets and remember - the middle of the cone is a hex to match the bolt. When you use this cone the collet will not turn. Assuming you've tightend the bolt enough then the ring won't turn on the collet (and those T tops grab nicely so you don't need to crank it excessively). This one is for things like signet rings and stone setting - probably other uses you can think of.

You also get a large nut & wrench you can use in place of the knob. This seems to me to be for when you're using it as a vertical holder since otherwise you have to make sure the knob is lined up right to fit into the vise. There are wings on the knob that make it wider than the fixture but as long as they're in the right plane it's slightly narrower.

You get two sets of collets in the set. I thought it was for backup but a jeweler in my class said there are some really wide rings out there where you'd want to double up. Not sure if the bolt is long enough for that. The knob (and nut, of course) do grab right at the front so they only need a tiny bit of the bolt to hold.

I'll try to add some pictures to this thread later (or anyone else with one can feel free to do so).

One of the reasons I got this (for me third) ring holder was the size of the whole kit. The shirts I wear, it'll fit in the shirt pocket. It's also made to work with the micro-ball vise. And heck, $50, class discount, a little money left in my pocket on Friday... how could I pass it up?

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmm...sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing the pics.

I've done well with the original GRS inside ring holder for a long time now. The threads do wear out with the amount of use (and abuse) I put it through. I'm actually on my 4th one in the last 10 years or so.

There is definitely room for improvement, so I hope the new holder will be a good fit for me.

The ring genie looks to be a bit bulky for my needs (and my wallet). Hopefully the new GRS model will be a happy medium.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you do a lot of layout / stone setting then the Ring Genie should be worth the extra. It also has the aluminum collets that should be more solid / vibration free. I've used one and it's good but I haven't yet really played with the new GRS one enough to have a feel for it.

I'll try and get the pictures tomorrow.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, end of the day but I've got the pictures now:

Just a shot of the box to confirm the part number

Inside the box are three bags. From left to right, the holder itself, the first packet of collets, and the second packet of collets with the nut and wrench you can use in place of the knob.

The bits themselves. You can see the T shapes on the collet I mentioned earlier and the two floating cones. Notice the shape of the hole in the collet? Those three 'dents' are what the locking collet locks in to.

Here are the two cones. As you can see, the inside of them is hexagonal to lock on to the shaft. The cone on the right has the 'teeth' used when you want to lock the ring's rotation.

Here's the holder in the normal position. You can see how the screw heads let it drop into the vise just the right amount (the top of the base is level with the top of the vise).

And here it is in the vertical mode. Took a couple of tries to get this just right so you can see how the knob has to be lined up right to fit in the vise. This is one reason you might want to use the plain nut rather than the knob. You can also see here how the 'T' shapes grip the inside of the ring. Obviously you can tilt to any angle between horizontal or vertical if you have a need.

Attachments

• W101002001.jpg
    W101002001.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 430
  • W101002002.jpg
    W101002002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 430
  • W101002003.jpg
    W101002003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 433
  • W101002004.JPG
    W101002004.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 436
  • W101002005.jpg
    W101002005.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 436
  • W101002008.JPG
    W101002008.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 440

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The collets get quite small - the smallest is 13.5mm and holds about a size 3.5

I know because I do a lot of 'CWP' practice rings - that's Copper Water Pipe. The two easy to get sizes are 1/2" and 3/4" and 1/2" is about size 3.5. The collet for it is smooth (no T's).

I cut one yesterday and I like this holder. The RingGenie is much better for layout, with it's built in steps. I also had trouble trying to do lathe-like border cuts - on the RingGenie you can lock the ring on to the collet and still turn the whole assembly whereas with the GRS unit you have to loosen things to spin the ring. Because of the knob it's extremely easy to loosen, turn, tighten but it's still easier to be able to adjust the drag separately from the grip.

Overall I think this unit is a good buy - even for folks like me who already have other ring holders. The kit is compact, it's not terribly expensive and it works well.

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Just ordered it:)! Josh from GRS sent a pdf schematic that I've attached for those interested.

Attachments

• LIT-330-LR.pdf
    631.9 KB · Views: 75

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's for that Mark!

Saves me from having to type in all of the collet sizes (they're on page 2 of that PDF).

Basically you get from just under a size 3 to just over a 13 (US sizes).

gantzi

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the review, it's great!
I decided to buy this ID ring holder instead of the regular one. I just received it and I'm really happy with it :)

Guy

Latest posts

Sponsors