New Graver handle

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
On the advice of John B, Carl Bleile, and JJ Roberts, I have changed the configuration of my chisels. Here is one I shortened the blade on, Drilled out a 3/4" hardwood dowel and set a 3/16" steel rod in the end to hold the graver so it doesn't go further in the handle with time New chisel 001.jpg

New chisel 005.jpg
Then I drilled and tapped the side of it for a set screw. I like the feel of it and the shorter graver feels much more solid when engraving with the chasing hammer. I wanted to use a 40 cal. shell casing for a ferrell but I can't find one. Guess I don't have any more. Mack

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a good chisel handle, Mack. That would be very comfortable for me.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the compliment, Coming from you that is really something. I am going to do the rest of them like that too. Soon as I can find some cartridge cases. If I can't I will just go to the local gun store for them. I will use different wood for each one so they are easily recognisable at a glance. Maybe curly maple, padauk,bubinga,walnut,hickory,rosewood, and maybe even cedar, although cedar is not very hard. I did that with some jewelers files years ago. Mack

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If cartridge cases are tapered it might make fitting a bit more difficult. Some brass tubing would be good. Actually, I doubt you need a ferrule, but they sure make wooden handles look nice, and all my chisels handles have them.

eisman

I can send you some .40 cases. I've got some silver (nickle plated) ones that would look good. They've been fired, so you might want to tumble them first. PM me, or email KGC1960@yahoo.com.

You might want to try Ash for a handle or two.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, here is a pic of an old jewelers file I put a handle on 20 years ago. The ferrule is a 44 spl. casing and the handle is Osage orange (hedge apple). The little ridge next to the ferrule is octagonal. Mack Barette file.jpg

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Mack, your tool looks like a winner, like the octagon handle and insert.
Let us know how it works,
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio