New garage craft with older equipment

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a student here for two weeks and he is at my station. Since I am less important, I dusted off the older backup system and moved over to the broken chair and corner of the garage.( Almost reminds a fellow of his school days.) The pirate is being engraved with a gravermax and the only handpiece I had was the old black thumper. I think it is a 710, not known for finesse work. It has served me well for the last week. My optics are an optivor. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to look at it under a scope next week when I resume my normal station. Most of my work done with an otivisor anyway.

From time to time we have the discussion of systems. It makes sense to get the best (usually newest) model one can afford. My point here is that we have been blessed with good equipment for many years and older equipment can get a person started if that is their budget. Ones level of competency is aided by equipment but absolutely not determined. Equipment is neither an excuse for poor work nor a pancea.........but don't we have some really great options.:banana:Now I need to win the lottery and collect a few more.

Attachments

• DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC_0121 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0121 - Copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I added another photo that is hopefully a bit cleaner. I had some dirt etc. in the others. A lot more shading is needed but it's a start.

Attachments

• DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 348

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I had to sent my Mach in for a repair and was with out it for a few weeks, so like you I had to go to my back up Gravermax and went on with the work. I will say I do notice a difference when I first make the switch back, being the max has a softer strike, but it does not effect the tool, it's just a different feel. If it wasn't for the unhandy positioning of the air adjustment valve, I probably would have just left the max hooked up and left the mach in the box.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, there are a few people that could sharpen a broken screwdriver and produce incredible engraving.......yup, you are one of them. There is however no question in my mind, that good equipment shortens the learning curve and makes some things easier and the body feel better. Your point about adjusting to the feel of different tools is a very good one.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, don't fear the scope, you will find your engraving hasn't suffered. I can almost hear him saying "Blimey, me patch has never looked so spiff!"
I have a backup Gravermate, which they don't even make anymore, and while it is limited in its capabilities, I can still muddle through on it when I need to. I tend to go back to a practice plate to regain the feel of the thing, but very soon I'm off and running again.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great already Lee, but sure I would like to see it finished. Amazing how you make it fit within the outline.

arnaud

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Lee and Brian,

I've always thought that there are those who can turn out the finest works, when armed only with that reshaped broken screwdriver, and others that even when using the finest of tools, can only achieve mediocre results.
And as I get ready to go to work this morning - with the finest tools I can muster, I salute you guys that handle any available tool so well!

Gordon Alcorn

Latest posts

Sponsors