New Engraving Website Unveiled

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Horses and their accoutrements have always been a part of my life. About ten years ago I had the idea of embellishing horseshoes. I should say I was struck with the idea. It was one of those nagging ideas that pressed on my mind continuously and refused to go away. I developed my idea further using the only tools I had any mastery of, namely pencil and paper.

Over the course of several years, I must have drawn a hundred pictures of fancy horseshoes before I finally succumbed to the fact that I would need to learn to engrave in order to bring the idea to fruition.
As far back as I can remember, I had always enjoyed drawing. I reasoned that since I could draw reasonably well, engraving would be little different, so I took my first tentative steps toward becoming an engraver. How naïve that reasoning was.

The realization that engraving was the means by which to realize my idea of embellishing horseshoes was the beginning of an amazing journey. That nagging idea of turning a utilitarian object as mundane as a steel horseshoe into an heirloom and the accumulation of the skills necessary to do so, has continued to pervade my waking thoughts.

This has been (and continues to be) a journey which has led me many places and has placed many good people in my path. It is a journey which has been lonely at times. There have been many who have scoffed at the very idea. There have been times when the worth of my idea has been challenged and when I have considered abandoning the journey altogether. But just as my conviction has threatened to falter, there has always appeared some harbinger of hope.

Foremost has been my wife, whose unfailing support has given me both the freedom and encouragement to pursue my ideas. Then there have been many iconic figures in the engraving community who have provided their insight and experience. John Barraclaugh, Ray Cover, Steve Ellsworth, Steve Lindsay, Sam Alfano, Ron Smith, Weldon Lister to name a few and the countless others who have given of their time and knowledge.

Among the engraving community, I have kept the idea close to my breast until I have had a couple of years to refine my idea to the point where I could show it to my peers with some small measure of pride. I have waited long enough to realize that my education will never be complete and that the work I see in my mind’s eye will never be seen by the eyes in the front of my face.

My website has been live for about six months now and I would invite you to drop in and leave a comment on the guestbook.

All my best for the New Year,

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congrats on the site, Jim! What a cool and fresh idea for hand engraving. Hat's off to you, and I know you'll do great with it. / ~Sam

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Jim, again my congratulations.
You have a wonderful site and a great idea.
For those that love the country life..... be sure to see the pictures of Jim and his wife as they developed their ranch and home.

Best to you and yours and a Happy New Year.

John B.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
With all those horse shoes for good luck how can you fail. Nice work. !

tonytigerhk45

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Jim very nice work. I also thought about doing horseshoes. I have one laying around somewhere have not had a chance to test it out yet.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Jim
Great idea. And you do a good job of it. It soon becomes consuming. The more you do the more ideas you have the more you do etc.
Rod

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great website Jim & unique thought, I love what you're doing! May God richly your new endeavor. Thanks for posting, Dwayne

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Very Nice Web site and what a great idea and you will do good with what ever you engrave...
Best,
Jerry

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great work Jim,
I have been shoeing on a part time basis for more years than I want to remember as well. Did my first back in 69-I have engraved several shoeing hammers for friends who were retireing form the biz and one for the widow of a very good friend who wanted it placed in the coffin-JD always used to say he would die with the hammer in his hand and she wanted his name on it-I have done the edges on a set of shoes for a little girls birthday present as well and then used them on her shoe jumper. Great work on your endeavor best of luck on your marketing. Fred

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice stuff Jim
Very unique and original. Beautiful high quality work.
Good luck with the new website.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Many thanks to all who took the time to visit my website and for all the kind words. The support of the engraving community means a great deal. (There's no better compliment than that which comes from your peers.)

I really had no expectations for such a warm reception. I have been overwhelmed by your kindness and I wish you all the very best.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
This is fantastic !! Your climbing out of the box and at the sametime creating a new market, I think that your perserverence and determination shows what can be done. This goes back to what I said in the other thread you have used your creativity along with marketing to create a new market for yourself Bravo!. I like how you show the porocess to the customer , which is important because it is necessary to educate ones customer base . I also think it shows the artistry in your product. We need more of this kind of thinking in the engraving world. Good lick with your new adventure I hope your success is grest Chris

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Nice idea Jim , and nice website too. Engraving gives a great value to these horse shoes .

Latest posts

Sponsors