Announcement: New engraving study aid available from Weldon

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Folks,
Here is a bronze resin casting of a buckle project I recently did. The original was engraved intaglio out of a piece of sterling silver 2"x3"x 1/8" thick. The work (a private commission) is my three-dimensional interpretation of a 1916 painting by WHD Koerner. I usually work with the hammer & chisel but on this project I busted out every tool & technique in the arsenal including my Lindsay Classic palm tool which came in pretty handy for the enormous amount of background that had to be removed. I hope to increase the use of the Classic as it is quite an asset!

I decided to do some resin castings and make them available for those who would like to study the work. The castings are copper/bronze resin & though they look like bronze, they are plastic. I am still working on the patina but I think they are looking pretty good. The castings show only the front (not the back) of the buckle & they will be signed & numbered on the back.

If you would like to get one, either pm me or email me at: wlister@gvtc.com for details.

Hope you enjoy,

Weldon

The shot of the silver buckle is of the original; the bronze is the resin casting
I will be offering limited editions in sterling and bronze in the near future (at a much higher price that the resin castings!)

Thank you,

Weldon

I attached a pic of the original (the one in silver) for comparison

Attachments

• ready 1.jpg
    ready 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty,

Thanks: cold cast copper/bronze is the regular plastic we use with copper dust added. The copper dust settles to the bottom of the mold & the finished product looks like what you see in the pics. I am sure you've seen a bronze sculpture but when you feel it you know it can't really be bronze - this is the stuff. I thought they looked a lot better than the plain plastic ones.

WL

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Weldon, looks absolutely great, but I'm also curious about "cold cast"
Will these buckles be silver plated or something like that?

arnaud

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Weldon,

Those came out fantastic. The patina and highlights are even better than the original don't you think? What about the patina, did you ink it or what?

Ron S

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Ron,

I think they came out looking pretty nice in this color! I used fingerprint ink to get the look.

WL

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Beautiful study aids, Weldon! Nice collectible, too. They came out super nice.

Andrew Biggs

Fantstic Weldon!! That patina really gives it some class.

The dust that Weldon referes to is also available in gold, bronze, copper, silver. A small pottle is very cheap and goes a long way.

Cheers
Andrew

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew!

I am still experimenting with the patination process & am getting some interesting results. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
As far as the dust being cheap...well, I haven't found that source yet (dang it). I'll keep looking!!

WL

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok,

Totally changed the pic to the new updated patina and added a better description....I love this stuff, it is really a cool material. It actually looks like a real bronze buckle!

WL

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look for some more castings (other projects to be available soon. I'll post new pics when they become available.

I am considering writing a short tutorial to go along for those who purchase the buckle casting for a study aid: your thoughts?

WL

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
the study aid would be an asset .. on your next project you could make a video of your work, that would make for beginners to really get a grasp......

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am considering writing a short tutorial to go along for those who purchase the buckle casting for a study aid: your thoughts?

Weldon that would be a big plus.
Kevin P.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin,

I am going to write a how-to for the FEGA journal which will be in an upcoming issue. I will take that & modify it a little & send it along.

Also, I should be shipping out a few castings the first of next week.

Thanks,

Weldon

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Mike!
I am continuing to work at it to get the best possible castings. Nothing is like the real thing but these come pretty darn close & with the bronze color they look nice enough to use as a display piece.
I'd look for more castings done like this in the future; not just from me but other folks as well.
I have a couple more pieces I am going to offer....one or two floorplates and another buckle or two.
I am also considering doing a sculpting piece that takes scroll from the first through the final stages in steps. A casting of that along with a write-up might be helpful.??

Thanks again,

Weldon

Latest posts

Sponsors