Neo classical flare cut, critique invited.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Happy Thanksgiving to Americans!

While at the rough cut stage, please comment on whether this design idea holds together for an 18th century style flute key?

Finesse and symmetry will be attended to, it is the layout and balance that I am thinking about just now.

A lot of different graver shapes are being used by other cutters of flare. I am quite happy with my previously posted graver shape... a flat with gently rounded 25 degree heel extending back about 3 or 4 mm ( a la Mike Dubber), but with the side corners scalloped off to prevent heel drag. This design of tool cuts very happily backwards, forwards, right, left, into the scroll centre, or away from it.

The key will eventually be cut in silver, with 24k gilding in the cuts.

iPhone photo

Rod

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 351

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm no art historian-- i can only say this is beautiful work. if i owned such a flute, i'd be more than happy with your design & cutting.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Splendid design and cutting, Rod! I can just see this on one of your beautiful flutes, and hear the oohs and ahs from your customers! You are really rockin' with the flare cutting!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for the kind encouragement, Colleagues!

I am doing some more refinement to the design, and hope to make a key to show soon.

best wishes

Rod

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, this is a wonderful design. It would also look fabulous as a silverware pattern for those with exquisite taste and pocketbooks!

Latest posts

Sponsors