Need to find Ivory Grips for a Colt Anaconda

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need to find Ivory Grips for a Colt Anaconda. Customer wants me to add them to a project I just completed. Can anyone help?

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The best I've ever seen were made by Paul Persinger:

Mr. Paul Persinger
Persinger Custom Grips
10441 Mackinaw Street
El Paso, TX 79924
(915) 821-7541

He does the ivory Grips for the Colt Custom Shop. And, he's made grips for Leonard Francolini. It doesn't get much better than that.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
It doesn't take much to make your own out of slabs. You start off with a thicker piece than you could buy ready made, allowing you to sculpt the anaconda onto the ivory. Also allowing you to wrap and have the snake serve as finger grips, like hogue's molded finger grips.
Then inlay a rampant Colt upperbody onto an Anaconda lower body, creating a custom ColtAnaconda medallion, sorta like adding wings to a horse to make a Pegasus. This may be an image I saw sometime in the past and my brain filed it away for future reference. Maybe the Ford Cobra Mustang logo? Lack of sleep? Might be cool though.

P.S.- You can practice sculpting with a Tagua nut, which is very similar and sometimes passed off as real ivory.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It doesn't take much to make your own out of slabs. You start off with a thicker piece than you could buy ready made, allowing you to sculpt the anaconda onto the ivory. Also allowing you to wrap and have the snake serve as finger grips, like hogue's molded finger grips.
Then inlay a rampant Colt upperbody onto an Anaconda lower body, creating a custom ColtAnaconda medallion, sorta like adding wings to a horse to make a Pegasus. This may be an image I saw sometime in the past and my brain filed it away for future reference. Maybe the Ford Cobra Mustang logo? Lack of sleep? Might be cool though.

P.S.- You can practice sculpting with a Tagua nut, which is very similar and sometimes passed off as real ivory.

Sounds so interesting, soooooooo much to learn.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An anaconda on the grip sounds cool, but I'm looking for grips for a Colt Anaconda.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Gerry,
I have always used Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports in Ct. to install my ivory grips. He has always done excellent work at, what I think, are fair and reasonable prices. Be ware or the possible ivory ban that could be coming. Here is Jim's website URL: http://www.nutmegsports.com/

Les

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I understood your question.
Rather than trying to find " the old needle in ...", save yourself some time ,trouble AND money and build what you need.

Take the pulloffs and lay the backs on the slabs. Trace the outline, allowing about 3/32" overhang.
Bandsaw out the profile, down to about a 1/32" overhang to get rid of the bandsaw marks. From there hand file , sand down to the exact profile. Use a piece of delrin about 5/16" thick as a practice piece.
For $250 - $300 you have a custom set of grips.
For me , it's a heck of a lot easier than disassembling a revolver, challenge wise.

Latest posts

Sponsors