Help, please: Need some guidance with background removal

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo.........yes, excellent drawing, that is exactly what it will look like. :thumbsup:

Carlos......the drawing Paolo did is as good as it gets. No video sorry.

When I say depending on the metal.....I mean, where possible I'll use a flat but on some metals such as a 316L I'll use a small rotary bur for background removal because the background areas are so small or the metal is to brutal on the gravers.

Not sure about your gun. Just give it a try and see what happens

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you Andrew I went ahead and used dental burs I'm using a very fine burr for the edges and will use a larger to remove the larger areas.

Carlos De La O III

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
How difficult is the metal of a Glock to cut? I have heard that they are very hard if not near impossible to cut using anything except carbide tools.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How difficult is the metal of a Glock to cut? I have heard that they are very hard if not near impossible to cut using anything except carbide tools.

I use the square gravers from Steve Linsay the carbide graver using his template at 105 degrees to do the fine lines. I had read on a thread on this site that is you sharpen only to a 600 grit you will avoid breaking or seriously diminished breaking tips. I first tried to engrave with the square graver the lowend one that Lindsay sales I never broke a tip but would never stay sharp it would constantly lose its edge, but then I change to the carbide and I had no problems. Back ground is being removed with a high speed Dental bur engraver which just eats away at the metal, its called shofu engraver sold by the good folks at graphic transfer.com if you have any questions please let me know. One more thing before I forget I am using a Steve Lindsay classic graver with the heavy piston(tungsten) I'm sure that helps

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When using a flat you may want to use a lubrication to make it cut easier. I use Tap Magic.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When using a flat you may want to use a lubrication to make it cut easier. I use Tap Magic.

Thanks will check it out.

Gerry I went to tap magic dot com and I see that there is four different liquids for different uses which one would be best for engraving or the use of the high speed engraver

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
When using a flat graver to remove the background how do you get into the nooks and crannies with a flat? J.J.

Andrew Biggs

When using a flat graver to remove the background how do you get into the nooks and crannies with a flat? J.J.

Hi JJ....very carefully is the answer to that. :)

Generally it involves leaning the graver over and approaching the cuts from different directions and what size flat you use. Depending on the work, the corners may be dug out with a V graver. Or if you remove the background first with a V graver then a flat, the problem takes care of itself. I have to say I go into auto pilot with background removal and don't think about it too much............ It all just depends on the job I'm working on.

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsors