Help, please: Need some guidance with background removal

john d

I'm fairly new to engraving and I need some guidance regarding the removal of background around my scrolls, etc. I currently use a dental burr that quickly cuts away material and, if I'm very careful, results in a not-unpleasant texture effect. But I've noticed from some of you all a very smooth background and I can't figure out how that's done.
Can anyone steer me to a tutorial or other resource so i can try this technique?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
burrs

John,Using a rotory tool and dental burrs when removing the background around the scrolls will get you in trouble,one slip and you'll spend hours correcting the mistake.I would suggest crossing hatching the background with a single point 90 degree graver,just trying to keep you out of trouble.:thumbsup:J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I cover this in great detail in my video ENGRAVING SCROLLWORK - START TO FINISH.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I just purchased Sam's lettering video from the FEGA. I watched it today and I can tell you it has more information in it than you could possibly get dollar for dollar from a class, he covers a great deal. I would imagine the 'Engraving Scrollwork' video would be equal in value. Actual classes may be the best way to learn but Sam's video should be adequate if properly practiced and if you ask nice he may even answer a question or two.

Bob

Andrew Biggs

Hi John

To add to what others have said.

depending on the metal........Use flats. These can be made or brought pre shaped. I would highly recommend rocking the heel as that gives you more clearance on the walls of your engraving. It's also important to use the appropriate size flat. 3 sizes will get you going. Small, very small and tiny.

Start by outlining the background area (after the main cuts) by leaning the graver into the cavity area. then you can cut out some of the background area with a square graver. This acts as a depth gauge Then remove any extra metal with the flat.............or you can skip the square graver bit and just start removing metal with the flat after outlining.

Give it a try on a piece of scrap and 99% of your questions will be answered.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi John

To add to what others have said.

depending on the metal........Use flats. These can be made or brought pre shaped. I would highly recommend rocking the heel as that gives you more clearance on the walls of your engraving. It's also important to use the appropriate size flat. 3 sizes will get you going. Small, very small and tiny.

Start by outlining the background area (after the main cuts) by leaning the graver into the cavity area. then you can cut out some of the background area with a square graver. This acts as a depth gauge Then remove any extra metal with the flat.............or you can skip the square graver bit and just start removing metal with the flat after outlining.

Give it a try on a piece of scrap and 99% of your questions will be answered.

Cheers
Andrew

By flat do you mean this? I have most templates of this set the one that is in question is the bottom right would this be the flat to remove the background?

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

mrthe

Andrew sorry but i can't understant the expression "rocking the heel" can you explain it please?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with JJ, cause it is a safe and effective way to get the job done. Done well,it is and effective background in itself.I use this type rot a precursor to dot punch BG or matted because it c\gives the excess metal a place to go.

Andrew Biggs

Carlos....yes, use the knife/flat combo template

Paolo.......Rocking the heel, as you sharpen the flat hell just lift it up and down a bit. I go from about 5 to 20/25 degrees. It only has to be very small and this gives you a tiny curved heel. I can post a drawing if you want.

This seems to give slightly more clearance.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew

I see that you mention that depending on the metal I'm trying to work on a Glock (firearm) would this work or should I use another technique.

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo.......Rocking the heel, as you sharpen the flat hell just lift it up and down a bit. I go from about 5 to 20/25 degrees. It only has to be very small and this gives you a tiny curved heel. I can post a drawing if you want.

This seems to give slightly more clearance.

Cheers
Andrew

Could you post picture please or video would be better

Carlos De La O III

mrthe

Ok Thank you Andrew i think that i have understand now is something like that?

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Hi johnD,
I'm a beginning engraver to. without a real training. it's a little investment but i bought a few of sam alfano's videos: drawing scrollwork/engraving scrollwork/jewelery engraving and lettering. they are real interesting and without these i wouldn't be able to to what i do now in these few months a started engraving.
have fun!
Timwolf.

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Ps: after you did your background removal you need to stipple it.
it's the stippling that will give you that smooth texture you're looking for...
T.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I crosshatch with 90' graver then use a small liner to level the background. If you just nick the corners of the liner on a ceramic stone it will help you from having the edge of the graver "catch". The lines act like rails making it very easy to get a level background.

You could make a few passes around the perimeter of the area, then carefully dental bur the remaining area. Lastly using the liner to level.

Andrew Biggs

Paolo.........yes, excellent drawing, that is exactly what it will look like. :thumbsup:

Carlos......the drawing Paolo did is as good as it gets. No video sorry.

When I say depending on the metal.....I mean, where possible I'll use a flat but on some metals such as a 316L I'll use a small rotary bur for background removal because the background areas are so small or the metal is to brutal on the gravers.

Not sure about your gun. Just give it a try and see what happens

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a 15 degree hell on most of my line cutting gravers. Sometimes lower for animals and figures. However i do prefer a 20 dergee heel on my flats as it seems to help me lift out or bevel cut much better. Rocking or rolling the heel helps also.

Latest posts

Sponsors