need recommendations for new ink jet printer

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
My old inkjet has given out and I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a brand that makes nice quality ink jet prints and I don't want to spend more than $100.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I use the HP 1000 and it has done me well. only use it for engraving so it prints on Transparent paper and plain paper always blk and wht no need for color.

Donny

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I second Don,

The HP Deskjet 1000 is serving me well, recommended by Tom White. At $29 each ( ink cartridges included), buy two, as it costs that much to buy spare cartridges alone, so that second printer is free!

Why buy two printers? Today's high resolution printers have to be thought of as a consumable item, their printing heads are so fine, the ink will eventually clog them, so have that spare ready.

Rod

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, another HP 1000 recommendation here. It's a basic printer only.

If you want an All-in-one, then HP F4580 is a brilliant one - and you can also pick them up cheap.

Both of these HP's work well for tranparancies too.

Cheers,
Jo

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, my geek wife told me to try cleaning the ink cartridges which I did and now my printer works fine again. This function was found in my printer preferences.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Golden forge, I lay down a layer of white gouache water color first. The dry paint acts as a sponge for the wet ink printed on acetate. I can ofter even see the pixels. For best results let the ink dry an hour before making the transfer.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James,

You can get the same 'blotting paper' absorbing advantage instantly by using Chinese White water color block, wet the finger, take a smear and rub it onto your bright clean metal object, it is dry in a moment and gives the double advantage of good contrast to the transferred design, and absorbing any excess ink, resulting in a crisper image. Tom White's Magic 'white' transfer mix will do the same, and of course your own gouache suggestion will too. Chinese White is ready for action within moments. As an aside, Chinese White is very resistant to acetone, but of course wipes clean with water.

Rod

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I don't use any acetone. The ink stays wet enough to just need rubbing on. I position the transfer with adhesive putty and once located, rub it out onto the white water color.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't use any acetone. The ink stays wet enough to just need rubbing on. I position the transfer with adhesive putty and once located, rub it out onto the white water color.

James, on what kind of sheet do you print, on ordinairy paper, tranparancie sheet, or parchment paper?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors