Need feedback about vises

SSS

I am new to engraving and am in the process of purchasing everything.

I am looking at the Lindsey Palm Vise but am concerned that it might be too small for my work. I make jewelry and some of my pendants are up to 3 inches. I know this vise has a jaw opening of 2-1/8 inches but because I've never used a vise like this, I can't tell if this vise will hold a 3 inch piece. Is the piece held between the jaws or are there pins that hold the piece on the top plate.

Any advise will be appreciated.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
easy to use hotmelt glue. glue the piece to a larger block of wood. under the large block, glue or screw a smaller piece of wood that will easily fit the jaws. as for the lindsay, i'd assume that it accomodates the use of pins. check wit lindsay to be sure

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have committed many sins in this life, but one never has enough vices! It's a rotating problem that continues to revolve right there in front of me, I gazing and staring, as far as my eyes can see, causing me at times to lose my focus, and my bearings, as my jaws run agape, and my arms are splayed akimbo! When will this situation stop, nobody seems to know? My view, of my perspective, and ever increasing predicament is increasingly off, and askew, this never ceases to amaze me, and the center of my subject, at the most inopportune times, even migrates out of kilter, and distracts my attentions, they only seem to become more magnified with an optivisor, and the minute becomes larger, and overly exaggerated, with ever-increasing magnification, under the microscope, and when will it stop, and where will it go? I have asked many, but nobody seems to know! Sam do you have any add "vices" to help me rectify this problem! I am beginning to feel like an engraving blockhead, fully out of control, an innocent victim of my own devices, and a victim of my own circumstances, with each and every circumspection, I am forced to seek new meanings and answers, about the source of my afflictions! Can anyone out there in cyberspace, drinking their coffee at the Engravers Cafe, help me navigate, guide me back from this state of oblivion, I a cast-off, constantly torn asunder? Do you hear the distant roar of thunder waiting by your door? Let it in and we all shall shout, for all our failures we must conquer! Let our efforts become our only advance, as we perform a magic trick that only we can master!

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have committed many sins in this life, but one never has enough vices! It's a rotating problem that continues to revolve right there in front of me, I gazing and staring, as far as my eyes can see, causing me at times to lose my focus, and my bearings, as my jaws run agape, and my arms are splayed akimbo! When will this situation stop, nobody seems to know? My view, of my perspective, and ever increasing predicament is increasingly off, and askew, this never ceases to amaze me, and the center of my subject, at the most inopportune times, even migrates out of kilter, and distracts my attentions, they only seem to become more magnified with an optivisor, and the minute becomes larger, and overly exaggerated, with ever-increasing magnification, under the microscope, and when will it stop, and where will it go? I have asked many, but nobody seems to know! Sam do you have any add "vices" to help me rectify this problem! I am beginning to feel like an engraving blockhead, fully out of control, an innocent victim of my own devices, and a victim of my own circumstances, with each and every circumspection, I am forced to seek new meanings and answers, about the source of my afflictions! Can anyone out there in cyberspace, drinking their coffee at the Engravers Cafe, help me navigate, guide me back from this state of oblivion, I a cast-off, constantly torn asunder? Do you hear the distant roar of thunder waiting by your door? Let it in and we all shall shout, for all our failures we must conquer! Let our efforts become our only advance, as we perform a magic trick that only we can master!

Brava!

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Chortling out loud.

I agree though, MOAR VISES GOOD!

I almost bought an 8' Wilton bullet vise at a sale last weekend.
My wife put the kibosh on it though.
Seeing as how I have every other size of bullet vise....

Ball vise, bigger is better, unless you need a smaller one for microscope work or travel.

Sponsors