Question: Need a wide HSS graver

myxlplyk

I need a piece of HSS that's about 1/2" wide and 3/32 or so thick to make a custom graver. Thickness is not very important. I'm making a custom graver for wriggle cuts. Is there something out there I can repurpose for this? I have a similar one made from a #48 flat, and the temper is perfect, but it's only about 1/4" wide.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Cut up a wood scraper,a small grinding disk works great to cut them up,and you can make any width you want, if you draw the temper when cutting just reheat it and temper it over. I use them all the time to make tiny carving tools.

scott99

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try lathe tooling. MSC, grizzly tools, harbor freight, etc....

You might also be able to get it from MSC in their materials category. They carry various metals in a variety of sizes and shapes.

Onlinemetals.com might also have it

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Old machine planer blades are HHS, and very often can be found in wood shops, I use then to make custom turning tools. You can use a grinding cut off wheel 1/16 in wide to slice them up to any size. Enco.com also sells rectangular cross section tool bits of HHS and carbide.

Rod

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
heat a suitable file at least half way back. heat to a very bright red/orange color. let cool slowly. this anneals or softens the steel. grind the teeth off and shape it to your need. heat again in a dark room about half way back. you'll see a band of colors advance towards the blade front. when you see the straw or bronze color at the tip, immediately quench swirling around in water. you will now have a tool that will do your job. it's important to not use the file in its' file-hard condition-- way too brittle. good luck

myxlplyk

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Tried to make one from a file before and it didn't work out too well. Tried the heat treat suggested by monk but wasn't very successful. Think I'll try the lathe cutoff or wood carving tool. I looked at wood carving tools but on some I looked at the type of metal wasn't obvious.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
First,
What are you going to use it for?
This makes an difference.
Also,I do a lot of instruments(trumpets),an 1/2" tool will need a lot of muscle if used on flat surface.
You may consider rounding the end from side to side,to reduce the surface contact.
But this will then leave marks that are arched or curved, as opposed to straight.
If you cutting soft materials,or non hardened steel, you have many options available.
What is the intended use?
michael

myxlplyk

First,
What are you going to use it for?
This makes an difference.
Also,I do a lot of instruments(trumpets),an 1/2" tool will need a lot of muscle if used on flat surface.
You may consider rounding the end from side to side,to reduce the surface contact.
But this will then leave marks that are arched or curved, as opposed to straight.
If you cutting soft materials,or non hardened steel, you have many options available.
What is the intended use?
michael

Actually I do intend on putting a curve on it because I do want arched cut for leaf shading. I already have a smaller version that I use, but I need a larger one. I will be doing everything from stainless steel to brass.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the tool isn't quite the way you like-- you can re do it a few times as long as you don't "burn" the carbon out of the steel.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Go with the file.
Dont try and heat treat it.
Keep cool while grinding.
When done,put in the oven at 350deg. to temper it back to straw color.
Monk forgot to mention the re-hardening phase of heat treating.
michael

Latest posts

Sponsors