Critique Request My Third Engraving

vondershred

Lil’ after-dinner engraving on an aluminum practice plate… third engraving ever!

My experience: I feel like a lot of the success on straight lines depends on how confident you start one. I should leave the large curved lines for last when I’m really into it after a couple small ones, now they’re kinda jittery and crooked (see hat). Luckily I saved the lettering for last, kinda proud of myself for not messing that up. I also feel like the 0.4 graver is more for me rather than the 0.8 I used for something this afternoon and totally botched. The 0.4 is more forgiving and managable. I’ll keep the 0.8 for background removal. Now I really need to learn how to sharpen and do crosshatch shading. Any tips on those two topics?

Gear used: GRS Graversmith, 901 handpiece, QC flat graver 0.4mm, Optivisor, thermo-loc, cheap Amazon ball vise, laserprinter and acetone. Thanks for viewing and your feedback! All advice welcome!

IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

IMG_6804.jpeg

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like the general design.

" You want my advice? Withdraw your legions."
- Judah Ben-Hur

In the times when engravers were essential to the world, and engraving was the chosen profession that one wanted to pursue to earn their livelihood, If one had easily spotted defects in their work, which was presented to
their potential employer, they probably would not hire them.

To be fair, I'm just beginning myself. There are elements to this piece that I would have tried to avoid while creating this work.

You stopped your lines short in places. Sometimes it works, others...it doesn't.

In other areas, you intersected the perpendicular line, and hit the opposing wall. (that's not gonna polish out)

Why are you using a flat graver instead of a V-graver?

By the way you refer to your work holding, it sounds like you long for something better. (A ball vice from GRS, perhaps?)

This is just me... but I would (as I'm doing currently) focus on straight cuts. No shading. No scrolls. Just consistent cuts of straightness and depth. At least that's where I'm gonna be for a while. You go on ahead.

AL12

Last edited:

vondershred

Thanks for your answer, AL12!

I will use your tips for my next try-out!

I use a (tapered) flat graver because that’s all they had at the store where I bought them. But I confess I have no idea what shape is best for which purpose, I have yet to educate myself on that subject which I definitely will. And then I will order the shapes I feel I need the most online from GRS.

I’m not complaining about my cheapo ball vise, on the contrary. I’m pretty happy with it! I have yet to compare it with a “real one”. I’m sure there’s no comparing and my current vise is way inferior, but I don’t wanna find that out until I’ve financially recovered a lil’ from the recent purchases I already made to start engraving! ;)

You’re right. I should work on my technique first before attempting more complex stuff, but my girlfriend was out and I wanted to surprise her with a cowgirl when she got home.

Thanks again,

Tristan.

Latest posts

Sponsors