My second attempt at coin carving

Jon C. Dake

I wouldn't say that my first attempt at coin carving was a total disaster but it certainly did not turn out the way I would have liked. This is my second coin and I think the result was significantly better. I know that there is much more room for improvement, but I am hoping that by the time I get through this roll of buffalo nickels they will look a bit more presentable. Constructive criticism from you coin cutters will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what I did right, if anything, and what I did wrong. I do know that the brim of the hat on the front is not long enough, but it seemed like I was going to get into the word "liberty" if I made it much bigger. Better planing would perhaps solve that problem.

Attachments

• 0702-P.JPG
    0702-P.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 181

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Jon,
Second attempt, but it is your 1st hobo nickel....
Which will bring a premium price from collectors on ebay....

Some tools I've had success experimenting with:
From Gesswein.
148-005 Cratex small knife shaped wheel (removes braid for a smoother neck)
251-0036 super stone brn #600 1x4x100mm plus hand piece (smoother fields and hard to reach places)
415-0560 Stone pencil #56 (finishing the surface in general)
item # unknown ...Polisher pin.... blue 2mm and grey 2mm ( finishing surface in general)
4/0000 steel wool from local hardware store

Jon, over time add a beard, mustache, hat band, border, 24k inlay, etc...

I study the work of Bill Jameson at: www.gmmnut.com/gmm/billzach
and Steve Adams: www.sga-sculpture-engraving.com , Check out his tutorial of Ella.

Just keep engraving, experimenting and having FUN.
Stephen

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Jon
I wish i could say my first or even my number ten carved coin looked as good as your first one..Looking good...

Last edited:

Jon C. Dake

Stephen: My first effort was trying to put my grandson on a Jefferson nickel. Sort of looked like a little boy, but not really much like my grandson. This is my first on a Buffalo Nickel. I have 39 to go to practice on before I need to buy any more. Thanks for the tips on the tools. I used a ceramic stone for some smoothing and flat gravers for most of the metal removal. I will try out the other items if I can find them. This whole engraving adventure is for me my escape and way of having fun. It would be nice, however, to actually make a dollar, just so I can convince my wife that the thousands that I have spent so far wasn't just for goofing off.

Bill: Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

I see the work of both of you and your works are truly an inspiration. At least I know what the brass ring looks like.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Ditto on it looking better than my first coin too.
Keep carving its pretty addictive.
Later,
Keith

Sponsors