My next Zippo engraving

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Here's a Zippo engraving I did for a left handed guy, hence the engraving on the 'wrong' side of lighter.

I started out wanting to do a simple design, but well, you see what happened.

Engraving took 13 hours, design too much (probably 8+ hours).

What do you people think, and most importantly, where could I improve?

Thanks!

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Taking the chance while you curse and edit, the one thing I see you could improve would be to have the pictures attached. :p

And you got the edit in while I was cracking wise, as I expected.

Nicely done design - you not only laid out a nice symmetric design, you engraved it cleanly.

I suppose if I had it in front of me so I could put it under my scope I could find something to nitpick, but as it is I'll have to leave it to the more experienced folks to tell us both if there's anything that could be better.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, yes. I tried to replace the original attachment, as it seemed like forum software softened the photo too much while downsizing.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my case it's usually just fat-fingering and hitting the wrong button. I knew I only had a minute or two.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

You have hit a home run with this one. Beautiful design and highly detailed engraving. BTW, I was just about to send you a PM. I haven't seen you here for a while and was hoping all was well. Now I can see what kept you busy.

Roger

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,
Very nice indeed! Well done all the way around.
I would like to make a comment on the pattern however. Sometimes a mirror image pattern like this can cause a beginner fits. It is easier to make a layout but as in your example, you basically have to repeat the engraving 4 times and get them exact to make them look right. A non-symmetrical pattern can be easier for the beginner. A slight mistake isn't noticed as easy. Now, that said, you pulled it off very well and should be proud.

Northwest29

Wow, that looks just over the top! Beautiful!

A newbee question -

Would zipppo lighters be a good metal for beginners to work on, besides just practice plates?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron

I can answer your Zippo question.

Yes. And No.

The brass and copper (and, if you could afford it, the silver) Zippos are great for engraving. The chromed ones are a bit tougher to work with because a few molecules of chrome makes a noticeable difference in hardness. I did my cheap Zippo (chromed) and it was like driving down a half-frozen muddy track. The graver would stop, start, skid, slide, and dip, all within a quarter of an inch. The brass ones cut just like a nice brass practice plate.

If you can get a wholesale hookup you can get the brass ones for around US$15. Think of them as expensive practice plates. If they come out good you can sell them or they make a great gift.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, it's beautiful.... The only thing I can think of to add is that next time you may want to try to engrave on a silver zippo. I know they are substantially more, but in the end you would be able to get quite a price for such a lovely job! Great work. :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW Vilts...I would say it is the best work i've seen of yours. I love the design and it is cut well.

I'm sure your customer will be VERY happy.

Peter

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Vilts,

Now that is really a beautiful piece of work. You did do a great and consistent job on the scroll work and shading. Thank you for sharing.

AirAmp

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your kind words. Really appreciated!

I suppose if I had it in front of me so I could put it under my scope I could find something to nitpick, but as it is I'll have to leave it to the more experienced folks to tell us both if there's anything that could be better.

Well, fortunately you can't put it under the scope and I hope client doesn't have one either. After all it's meant to be viewed with naked eyes :). But I could send you the full-size photo, if you feel like nitpicking ;)

You have hit a home run with this one. Beautiful design and highly detailed engraving. BTW, I was just about to sent you a PM. I haven't seen you here for a while and was hoping all was well. Now I can see what what kept you busy.

Thanks, Roger! I'm allright indeed, thanks for the concern. Life's been fast lately - many engraving works queued up and I went to school too, so that doesn't help much with free time.

Vilts,
Very nice indeed! Well done all the way around.
I would like to make a comment on the pattern however. Sometimes a mirror image pattern like this can cause a beginner fits. It is easier to make a layout but as in your example, you basically have to repeat the engraving 4 times and get them exact to make them look right. A non-symmetrical pattern can be easier for the beginner. A slight mistake isn't noticed as easy. Now, that said, you pulled it off very well and should be proud.

Thanks. Well I try to make challenges for myself to learn. You're right about mirroring the design. Last time I did it, the result wasn't that good and on this one I don't like some spots - the outer corners of inner design, especially the left and right ones. They lack something...

But again, if you see some points which should be made differently, don't hesitate to tell me. I'm not that softie concerning criticism.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, it's beautiful.... The only thing I can think of to add is that next time you may want to try to engrave on a silver zippo. I know they are substantially more, but in the end you would be able to get quite a price for such a lovely job! Great work. :)

Thank you, Tira :). Silver Zippo is good idea indeed, but... well.. let's say I have to work hard on marketing. You'd be surprised at what price this Zippo goes for. But that's my 'paying the dues' part in promoting myself and engraving :).

Latest posts

Sponsors