Critique Request My new hand engraving work Lion

startime88

This Lion are sit in front of door of one big bank . My primarily school are near that area. Recently I got one chance to visit my primarily school . and across that bank. saw the Lion still sit there. Everything are just the same as so many years ago. I take the picture and make the Hand engraving followin it. When I make this engraving I still rember so many years ago when I just about 10 years old I jump on the stone steps my hand hold the head of this Lion..... Time past so fast......
David

Attachments

• DSCN7598.jpg
    DSCN7598.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN7606.jpg
    DSCN7606.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN6491.jpg
    DSCN6491.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 204

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice attempt and sure the brass one in front of the window is quite magic.
As far as I can see on your photo, I think you have add to much detail, the big one is quite stylised, seems you tried to make the small one with even more detail.
So perhaps try to smooth some areas, yes I know you didn't ask for support on this one and perhaps I'm wrong and is it because of the reflection.

Okay, I was wrong, indeed you asked for support on this one, no problem for me now.

arnaud

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Arnaud. You have too much detail, especially in the lion's mane. The cuts being that close together just wash out the depth and character you are looking for. I would deepen the hair of the mane right along the jaw line and flatten some of the cuts in the hair to bring that area back to life. Also deepen the cut at the edge of the back leg. This will give the body and the leg more definition. Overall, it is a very good effort, but we always want to improve. You've got talent.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David,

Thanks for showing us your work. Is that hard enamel in the background? Also where are you and the lion located?

Thanks,
Roger

startime88

Thank you so much I will follow your instructions you are my great teachers . the Lion is located in Hong Kong . The Bank name is Hong Kong Shanghai Bank .
The background just the Burgundy colou of ink

david

Latest posts

Sponsors