my new gravers and handle

ramilpacheco

hi guys! i bought my 2pcs onglette graver and handle. now im ready for my practice today. hoping i can use it properly and sharpen it smoothly PICT0063.JPG PICT0067.JPG PICT0065.JPG

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Put an extension on the graver. It will give you more power while you are hand engraving.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Put an extension on the graver. It will give you more power while you are hand engraving.

Could you explain what you mean by an extension and why it gives you more power? I cut my traditional burins down so they don'y project too far past my thumb. Perhaps there's something I've been missing.

Thanks,
Roger

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was joking with Arno. We all know that the onglette does not need more power. In the world of bright cutting by hand if you want more strength behind the graver you lengthen it out more than normal.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cherco,GRS,Lindsay and Ray LeTourneau all have adjustable handles just for traditional push engraving,you can adjust the graver and find the length that is confortable for you.J.J.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I was afraid to cut my gravers off when I started. These days I find shorter is the best for my push carving. I often steady my finer cuts by bracing my index finger tip on the silver. Seems like I also use my thumb sometimes. I'm not at the bench but I'm sure there's a reason my thumb has a scratched up callus. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Concerning "Power" in pushpower burin engraving, I have found that a higher lift angle, 20 degrees versus my usual 12 degrees allows me to cut deeper and slip much less when engraving brass that is hard and tough. The higher lift angle allows you to put more downward force on the graver using the same amount of energy.

Concerning graver length, push power, Seems shorter a little easier to control. But for flair cuts, script lettering, I now use a longer graver, 4 1/4 to 4 1/2" long. This gives me nicer flair cuts going from fine to wide.
But when using flat gravers where I am trying to maintain a even width line, shorter is better for me.

Don't know how much it matters with this, but my hands are small.

ramilpacheco

hi guys i just started to use my graver my problem is the tip is very brittle. i need to sharpen it often, and mostof a time it slipped. and tips regarding these. thank you guys

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
checo,How are you sharpening your new gravers?by hand on a stone?with a bench grinder?The onglette graver is not an easy graver to sharpen,if your using a bench grinder without dipping in and out of water to keep them cool you may be over heating the gravers.I sharpen my onglettes by hand. J.J.

ramilpacheco

jj i harpen it by my hands i dont have hone for sharpening. i notice that stainless is hard metal i just engrave 'MV' to my wacth and its not easy to carve. im still on practice guys i'll show it to you guys when i did it much better.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hi guys i just started to use my graver my problem is the tip is very brittle. i need to sharpen it often, and mostof a time it slipped. and tips regarding these. thank you guys

That is why it is important to know how to heat treat tools. If I had a million dollars for everytime somebody on this forum asked me how to heat treat gravers I would have six million right now:). If your graver isn't tempered for the job you are dead in the water. It won't matter how many fancy engraving machines you own or how many high priced schools you went to.