Announcement: My new GizWidget for Engravers/Scrimshanders

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, those are to fit in the "V" notch in the vise jaws to give a little more solid "lock up". It's basically to keep it from shifting/turning.
If you want to offset it in the vise, you can just turn it and slide it in the jaws. It could have been square, but I was being lazy. This only takes two cuts to make. Square takes 4 cuts. Ha,Ha!
Ok Roger, I'll bring one to OGCA. Did Joe Rundell talk to you about the July show?

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian, that's cool. I'm still just a practicing wannabe, but I just ordered one. After messing up the edges of some of those little practice doo dads that GRS sells, I made a similar out of wood. Well maby it wasn't all that similar since I think it got used for kindling in last nights fire. In the words of somebody " that's a lot better than the one I had". Thanks.

Todd

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,Yes. The "top" is 1" thick. I did that to provide a nice solid support for inlaying. It would probably work if it was thinner, but I just stuck with numbers that were easy for my 12th grade education! Ha,Ha!
Tim. I actually used hot glue for the picture, but ThermoLoc behaves the same.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam....on another note: I bought my son a Fender Banjo for Christmas---wish it could have been the one you have/had for sale.
He was inspired by you at a Grandmasters Weekend and he asked me if I knew of any other good banjo pickers.I told him "Some guy named Bela Fleck is getting pretty good too!"

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Well that does it. I've been thinking about buying one of your prayer boxes for a while. This idea looks pretty cool so I just placed an order for both and some practice barrels too.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian: I always keep whatever I'm working on as low and close to the vise's mass as possible, that's the reason I asked. I'd probably prefer 3/8" or so.

I bought a new Ome openback banjo so I sold two others this week. So now I'm down to three banjos...my Gibson bluegrass banjo, my Ome, and another bluegrass banjo I'll give to a special student one day.
Most of the Fenders require a professional setup by someone who plays banjo and understands banjo setup. Of course a good teacher should assist you and your son with this.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree about the set up with the Fender. It is made good enough for a beginner, but I find the intonation a bit on the sharp side. At first I thought is was technique (or lack thereof), but I do believe it needs some pro attention.
If he can muster enough desire to make a go of it, we'll investigate an upgrade for him.
He's had 7 years of piano lessons and is quick to pick things up, but he's also 17....and has a drivers license. LOL!

monk

Staff member
i made a variety of sizes in .5" pvc plastic. i just roughcut grooves in my pieces with a radialarm saw or even round graverss, works good with hotmelt, tloc, superglue, etc.

Attachments

• PVC A.JPG
    PVC A.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 102
  • PVC 1A.JPG
    PVC 1A.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 101

monk

Staff member
shown are 2 of many i've made of .5"pvc plastic. random grooved with a radialarm saw, the other cut with a round graver. worked well with tloc, superglue, hot melt, etc

Attachments

• PVC A.JPG
    PVC A.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 101
  • PVC 1A.JPG
    PVC 1A.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 102