My lads setting attempt...

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Having spent 10 minutes explaining the theory to an impatient 10yr old, off he went to set a cz into copper sheet (as I learnt as an apprentice).
Lots of drill skipping/tool slipping & ruined tools later, here was the result..

It`s certainly set..only by learning tool control, confidence & finesse by replicating the same thing many times can he improve now.
The start of a long road....

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
What did he do to deserve such punishment? :biggrin:, seriously, great to see him following in your footsteps, he has a great teacher I'm sure,

Richard.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I think the punishment was on me, just spent half hour re-honing & polishing my tools :eek:

Did advise a better payed career, maybe dentistry..however he`ll need to improve his drilling accuracy somewhat!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the poor kid, he knows not what he's in for ! did you bother to warn him ?

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris. Its not like it was when we started off thirty or more years ago. Work is limited now and you have to provide the highest quality for barely minimum wage. Get him off the idea quickly.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got into engraving to enhance my silver work back when silver was $2 or $3 an ounce. Did lots of traditional stuff with turquoise and coral. Feathers, hand made leaf patterns. lots of rings, bracelets, pendants. Thought I should know bright cut to get a better price. For the time I had in a completely hand made piece I could make more at McDonalds. Decided that I would rather concentrate on engraving and do silver for friends and my own enjoyment. Would rather give my work away than compete with what was coming across the border. Don't do any jewelry now except for fun. Fred

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris. Its not like it was when we started off thirty or more years ago. Work is limited now and you have to provide the highest quality for barely minimum wage. Get him off the idea quickly.

Things definately have changed & it`s tough, not being satified I thought I`d make things more challenging by moving to Finland.:thinking: