My Image Transfer Method

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
I'm often asked how I do my image transfer so here's one of the methods I often use. Sorry that the pics are incomplete, was a knee jerk decision to post this so I just used the stuff from the last thing I did.

1. Make line drawing of image I want to use, outlining the important stuff. (sorry the paper is wrinkled, I dug it out of my garbage).
2. Shrink and refine original to the size I need.
3. Print to size drawing on a clear address/shipping label. (I usually print one or two extras of the image in case of any mishaps)
4. Place/position image printed label on piece to be engraved then poke through clear sticker label with a scribe following the lines leaving small indents in piece to be worked. (How often you poke a dot is at your discretion, too many and that may show on the finished piece, not enough and you spend a lot of time figuring them out)
5. Remove sticker and start working playing connect the dots.

Notice I keep the small sticker I used to transfer the image (stuck to the left of the original) I've found it handy when I can't figure out the dots and use it for reference looking at it to see where I poked the hole/s through it. All those dots can get confusing if your design is complicated/intricate!

It takes a bit to get the feel for how hard to poke, it doesn't take much. Ideally your trying to just "kiss" the surface to be engraved or scrimshawed with the scribe.

Alright I think that's it, hope this helps someone. I'm happy to answer any questions about this that anyone may have.

Attachments

• sticker.jpg
    sticker.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 312
  • drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 313
  • RonJrPGspydy32.jpg
    RonJrPGspydy32.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 314

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
(sorry the paper is wrinkled, I dug it out of my garbage).

did your mom walk in the room unexpectedly? "Ronald Junior! What are you drawing???"

i've used a similar method of transfer using a thin sheet of clear plastic as a stencil of sorts. i like your way better, thanks.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Saddle and bootmakers makers use the same technique.
The only difference is they prepunch the holes, lay the paper on the leather and then dust the paper with talcum powder, then take the paper away leaving dots of powder.

I've always admired your work Ron.

Last edited:

Belprime

Old school sign painters used a similar way to make pattern. A tool with a tiny sharp spur was rolled over the layout. IF you are using paper...A Hint... flip it over and lightly sand the back side. This will prevent the holes from closing.
Great work,

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Old school sign painters used a similar way to make pattern. A tool with a tiny sharp spur was rolled over the layout. IF you are using paper...A Hint... flip it over and lightly sand the back side. This will prevent the holes from closing.
Great work,
when i make a pounce pattern, if for a small sign, i use the laser. if for larger work, i have a gadget grounded to my stainless steel drawing/work table. it's called an electro pounce. a drawing is placed on the table. a "pen" is traced over the lines and a high voltage discharge burns holes thru the paper. either technique burns clean holes. sanding not needed.

Attachments

• pouncer.JPG
    pouncer.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 170

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Great work,

I new those little feed wheels from and old printer I have pulled apart would come in handy for something, :thumbsup: just don't push to hard, they are made of soft metal, and they even leave a mark on metal clearly visible under the scope, :)
thanks for the idea,

Richard.

Latest posts

Sponsors