My first vice- The Ideal by AD. Muehtmatt, what y'all think?

77cj5

I got my vice I got on eBay today and got it cleaned up. What do y'all think? Its a keyless vice by Muehtmatt. It operates very smooth and spins easily. No slop. Has a pin that you can drop in for locking the top to the base to keep it from rotating. Its a lot better than the can of expired beans I have been using :p.
uploadfromtaptalk1475379240648.jpg

77cj5

Another view

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
never tried one such as you have. smooth rotation-- great! how gunked up was the vise when you got it?

77cj5

It moved great when I got it. Its buttery smooth now. It was very dirty though. Some of the nickel plating is wore away but I knew that buying it from the pictures. Not sure what I'll use for a base yet.

77cj5

Monk, I can spin it like a top and it will spin for about a minute, sometimes longer.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Muehtmatt vises are exceptionally well made. I have a Monarch model. Because of their small size and shallow jaws, they are only good for small parts and jewelry. For gun engraving a larger vise is needed.

Attachments

• Block-ADM vise 13.jpg
    Block-ADM vise 13.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 211

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I once had to make matching bases for 6 vises...

Went and got 6 mower wheels. Not easy to separate the rubber from the steel rims.

So, I took a big pot, filled it with water and put it on to boil. When it was boiling, I added the wheels and covered the pot.

At about that time, the wife came home from work...

Whilst I didn't have to sleep outside with the dogs (would've been worth it for the look on her face when she lifted the lid) - I did get my sanity questioned rather thoroughly.

Brian

P.S. It does work. You can almost pry the rubber off with just your fingers. (HOT! Use gloves)

I used one of the dull table knives to start them over the edge of the rim.

monk

Staff member
I used a lawnmower tire under my first bowling ball vise. Still use that one in the garage now and then.

i used a mower tire for some time. not real happy with the resistance, so i made one of nylon or some such plastic.

77cj5

Thanks Brian and Monk. I've got some 2" thick derlin I may try to make a base with. I'll get a friend with a CNC mill to hollow a radius in it

monk

Staff member
Thanks Brian and Monk. I've got some 2" thick derlin I may try to make a base with. I'll get a friend with a CNC mill to hollow a radius in it

delrin is a great choice. tough and unaffected by the stuff rengravers use. should be nice & smooth.

Latest posts

Sponsors