My first graver

Kahoun

Hello all

After your collective suggestions I went to Koodak Jewellery supplier (in Melbourne) to get my first tools. I plan on working small so I bought the smallest onglette and a 1 mm square tool and handles.

After scratching some test metal and reading Meek’s book it seems like I am going to want to reduce the tools length considerably, so that the rounded handle can sit in my palm while the tool projects about an inch past my thumb and forefinger.

Before I cut the tool in half I thought I would double check that it is a good idea. I was also reading that I should not get too over zealous when reshaping the tool as I don’t want to ruin the temper of the metal. Meek’s book suggests that I grind a little away at a time and have water on standby to quench. I Just wanted to double check that I have this right before I break a new tool!

Peter

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello and welcome! There is nothing wrong with cutting the tool down in length so it fits your hand better. I didn't do this when I first started and I should have. Now I basically cut the tool blanks in half so that the gravers fit my hands better - but I have small hands. Once I started doing this I was much more comfortable and had better control with the tools. You can score all the sides of the graver where you want it to break and "snap" it in half. Be sure to wear eye protection because if the graver shatters a bit it really flies.

Be careful with the grinding and heat especially if you are using a bench grinder. Grind a little and quench a lot. This isn't a problem if you have a power hone or are doing the grinding by hand on stones.

Good luck with your new adventure and keep us informed. :)

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Peter
If you can not hold the graver when grinding it (hot) that is too hot. Grind little and cool a lot, same for shaping and sharpening. As Tira said you can score and snap them also, eye protection:eek: Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
depending on the size/shape of the graver, if you're careful you can end up with 2 gravers for the price of 1. the back half can also be fashioned into a useful cutter.

Latest posts

Sponsors