• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 262

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did Marcus say something about if the rose is too round, it will look like cabbage?

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
It's a start! :)
I think you need to sit back now & honestly compare yours & what's in the book, so you can see what needs tweaking.
I can see you nailing it sooner or later, just going to take a few more efforts & abit of observation of details.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did Marcus say something about if the rose is too round, it will look like cabbage?

they ain't called 'cabbage roses' fer nuthin'...

and to clarify- i'd never heard that the term implied anything derogatory, just a common 'industry term' describing the fat, round little roses typically used in this style. i think Bert's look just fine.

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They look a heck of lot better to the naked eye, as Marcus says in his video. It's not cut for macro photos, its cut for the naked eye.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
everybody likes to complain. it looks ok. forget all those grumpy people.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not a bad "first go". You seem to have better outside work on the first pic than the second but your cinquefoils look better on the second pic than the first. Try to keep the petal spacing and size as even as possible.

With the roses, of you cut the centre part first i.e. the petals, any folds and then the top, and then join the bottom you can avoid making the bud too round. If you look at a real rose bud its more of a squat egg shape than it is round.