My first attempt at modern scroll

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone

I have been trying to get back to doing some modern scroll work and this was my first attempt. I know it is a long way from the quality of many on this forum but you got to start somewhere and this was it. My design was based on some Nimschke scroll work that I modified to to fit the work. I am not to unhappy with it overall but I see a lot that I feel I could have done better. Anyway I have always found the only way to get better is to get input from the best and that is why I show this work here. I you have some positive feedback please feel free to make a comment.

Thanks, Jim Paker

Attachments

• IMG-4790.jpg
    IMG-4790.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-4811.jpg
    IMG-4811.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG-4813.jpg
    IMG-4813.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG-4814.jpg
    IMG-4814.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 154

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim, I like it a lot…. It looks really good on the rifle, what kind is it?
Also what part of Alabama are you from? I’m in New Market near Huntsville.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I am about an hour south of Huntsville in the little community of Bradford, AL. I am about 2 miles west of 79 hwy and about 6 miles north of Pinson. Thanks for the compliment, this is a custom built rifle by a fellow out of NY and the customer, the gent in the pictures, is a good friend of mine from Indiana. The action I believe was some kind of stainless but it cut really well. I did have to sharpen often but very few broken tips on my HS gravers. The cock screw was so hard I could not cut it and that is why its not engraved. I was not sure how to anneal it so I just left it plain. Anyway, thanks again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
consistent cutting, nice border, pleasant overall to my eye. some of the spines are a bit wonky but that will heal over time.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Your close to Birmingham, I used to go every now and then for work… if I remember right I have heard of putting parts in the oven ( degree?) then letting them cool down to somewhat soften the part, not actual annealing but softens it enough to be able to cut. I’ve never been brave enough to try it, would rather send it off let someone who knows what their doing do it.
Nice work and it’s good to know there’s another engraver close.

Jeff Miller

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Yes JJ we met a couple of years ago at the Virginia show. Seeing your work was an inspiration for me to work harder to get better. Will you be there this year?

Sponsors