multicolored gold inlay

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
A recent work on a bolt action from Hartmann & Weiss.
Different than the usual game scene, it depicts native Indian Lacrosse players.
Flush inlay of 24 Kt gold, red gold 18 Kt, green gold 18 Kt and platinum.( The red gold was very hard to inlay because the steel of the floor-plate was a little too soft!)
The shading, a mix of lines and dots between the lines, is executed with a hand pushed graver.

Attachments

• H&W mohawk.jpg
    H&W mohawk.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 450

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, that is just insanely beautiful engraving. And... well... I'm out of words...

Dan Grubaugh

That is just fantastic! And yet different from the norm! Very, very nicely done! I like the border too! It is hard to quit looking at the whole scene. Thanks for showing your work and inspiring.
Dan

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Now that's a new bar to jump or limbo under...
Very, Very Nice...
Thanks,
Jerry
Would be nice to see and meet you at the Blade show and Engrave-In...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! :eek:

I've always kind of liked lacrosse - what other sport sends out teams of guys with sticks, some of whom's task is pretty blatantly just to whack members of the other team? I mean Hockey gets close, but...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...that is impressive to say the least. Just the border alone is amazing.

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Superb!! Doesn't get any better than that Alain..............I had similar problems on the 73 win I just did and had to stop. I had intended to do more flesh colored inlays on the men's faces and hands, but the metal was too soft and I felt I would be pressing my luck...........those very small inlays are difficult to do in work hardening metals. On your peice some of the border lines around the border design looks as if they have been wriggle cut and inlayed. Is this correct or is it something else?

Looks like you got it to work just fine. are you doing these in wire or sheet?..............Ron S

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Oh my, oh my, oh my! That is perfection for real! That looks so fine it could be a painting. Thank you for showing this.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,
in general I prefer to use wires for inlaying, and that's what I used with the yellow, the green gold and platinum which are soft. But the red gold was so difficult to fix in the soft steel that I decided to cut the outline of the Indians players in a sheet of red gold, 0,5 mm thickness and adjust it exactly in the bedding that I prepared in the steel plate. After that I chased the red gold sheet sides into a deep dovetail cut in the steel plate. The gold is fixed in the steel only by the edges. It was a try and I was not sure that the gold inlay would stay in place after the hardening but that worked . ( I hope that I am understandable!)
What do you mean by "wriggle cut" and what are these border lines that you speak ?
Alain

Latest posts

Sponsors