Mt first real knife engraving

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
After taking a four month hiatus from my bench I decided it was high time to dig my graver into some metal and put some chips on the floor again. I've never engraved anything for my dad before so I wanted to give him something for father's day that said "thanks for keeping me in line these past 28 years."

The knife in itself is nothing special but I wanted to give him something he would actually carry and use. I went through several designs before settling on this one. I tried to break up the area with a panel designed to mimic the type of inlays found on integral frame folders. Deciding how to shade it was also quite a task because I am still struggling to wrap my brain around this type of work. The knife's metal was really hard to cut through. Even with an M-42 the graver's tip kept chipping so I had watch out for that along with the subsequent slip of the graver.

My dad was thrilled with his gift. Although there are a ton of things I would have done differently, I am moderately pleased with the way it came out. It's amazing how much you can learn just doing a little project like this. I would love to hear what you guys think, so as always c&c welcome.

Last edited:

mgdesigns

Very, very nice. Is this sterling silver, or stainless? Well designed and executed.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,James
Good job on the knife, I am sure that your dad will treasure that gift forever.Also good to see that you are putting a few chips on the floor again.I will stop by the store to see the knife in person soon,and I'll bet your dad smile's when he shows it to me.:beerchug:
Dennis

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really like this design. I found it very clever to design "panels" in to the design so as to appear as inlays. I too am curious as to the brand of knife you used and to the material it is made of.

Mark

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words guys!!

mgdesigns- The pattern was engraved directly onto the knife, so no silver overlay there.

Dennis- Good to here from you again. I hope all is well with you and Agnes. I trust you are putting chips on the floor as well. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. If you stop by the store I'm sure dad would love to show off his newest box cutter/screw driver/toothpick. :)

Mark- The brand stamped on the blade is "Gallery Steel." Many years ago my dad ordered about 20 or 30 of them from a catalog to sell in his store as gifts. I doubt they cost over $5, but I wouldn't recommend this to engravers. The metal was extremely hard and my tip kept chipping off. The actual make up of the metal remains mystery but it falls into engraver's "metal hardness category" of life's to short......

Andrew Biggs

Hi James

A very nice job for your first knife and your father should be very proud to keep it in his pocket. I like the way you have emphasised the shape of the knife with your design.

I don't know what gravers you are using........carbide perhaps???

Try the GRS Glensteel as that is what I use on my watches and they are as hard as the hobbs of hell. The Glensteel dosn't so much break as it gets blunt which can help a lot with "slippage"

And yes, projects like that are perfect to cut your teeth on as they provide a confined space that forces you to focus your attention.

Keep at it, you're doing just fine. Time and experience will improve your skills even further. :)

Cheers
Andrew

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Hi James!

Hi James!

Nowadays, the bustle and speed
Many prefer to buy something at the store.
Nobody knows what kind of mood
He was a man who did this thing!
A negative emotions are transmitted through objects!

The best gift a loved one
this is what is done with his own hands!
This kind of thing brings the warmth of your heart!

And serve as a talisman that protects!

A particle of the soul master
always in his work!
Therefore, you will always be beside his father!

Good luck to you!
New successes!
Eric S. Brezhitsky

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys!

Andrew- Yea, I started with carbide and immediately switched to M42. Next time I'll definitely try one of my Glensteels for any mystery metal giving me fits. Thanks for the tip.