Motorbike engraving

Ian groves

Hi is anyone using Linsey type graver for motorbike parts as when cutting aluminium I'm betting quite inconsistent cuts and not smooth .if I turn up the airpresser to around 30 psi can see the impact marks .Ihave tried 120dg 110dg and all been highly polished upto 7000 grit
.was told be better with a grs
GraverMax with QC720

Ian groves

When cutting aluminum you really need to use a good anti-seize lube to get good clean cuts. Aluminum galls very easily so sticks to the face of the tool and I wipe the tool frequently on some hard wood to keep it clean. Otherwise the tool will tend to wander.
Can you recommend a good anti seize lube

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I, recommeded by MikeD used wintergreen oil............for everything now

Peter T

Can you recommend a good anti seize lube
The best thing to use to stop the aluminium sticking,(picking up,is the correct term) to your carbide or HSS tools , is parrafin wax or oil, or if you can’t get it kerosene will work ok
You just wipe the wax on the cutting surfaces there is no drips or mess and a little bit goes a long way

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Many years since I read James B Meeks book, but if I remember correct, he wrote that you can use cotton in a bowl/can, soake with a few drops of kerosene/lamp oil as cutting fluid. Just dip the graver prior for each cut......BUT I don`t know if it`s actually working on aluminium. Maybe worth a try.........

Jørn-Ove

1screagle

I have cut a lot of aluminum Motorcycle parts. I have used A-9 Aluminum Cutting Fluid for 40 years. I have a tin sitting next to the vice to use liberally dapping the tip into a cloth holding the fluid. I also have a piece of thick leather glued to a small block of wood for pulling off the aluminum build up, then dap. Be aware the bottom of the graver geometry will change over time when wiping on the leather, you should check it every so often. The bottom of the graver loses its V and starts to look like a U. It does do a nice job of pulling the aluminum off the graver. I will try a piece of hardwood as Sam has recommended to test his method.

Latest posts

Sponsors