Morgul Holdout Stiletto

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Well, now for something a bit different. I came up with this idea watching the Lord of the Rings movies, and was picturing the head Nazgul (the Witch King) hanging around the Black Tower playing poker with his minions. I wondered what sort of weaponry such a gambler might employ to deal with a minion who was winning too frequently. I don’t picture a Nazgul as being a very good loser. Here’s the result of that muse…..Oh, yes, it's 8 inches long and made from 1/4 inch square W1 carbon steel and 24k gold.

Morghul_Stilletto_Spike.jpg

Morghul_Stilletto_Spike_20b.jpg

I’ve (loosely) based the rawhide sheath on the Bell Dirks. For those few of us not familiar with them, Bell Dirks are contemporaries of of the famous Bowie knives, and were highly decorated, long slim daggers typically carried by gamblers and other “gentlemen.†The sheaths had a “frog†(button) that was intended to be worn by slipping the dagger inside the waistband of the trousers, and the “frog†buttoned into a vest buttonhole, thus keeping the handle of the dagger easily at hand.

You can see an ad nauseum, 5-part blow-by-blow description of the process at my blog starting here: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=2374

Thanks for looking!

Tom

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Very different and unique, great craftsmanship, I was not aware of the bell dirks, have made the push daggers carried by the gamblers. Thanks for posting Deane

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure which is more impressive, the actual work or the imagination it took to even start. Very nice. Remind me not to play cards with you.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, folks! I appreciate the feedback. This one was a lot of fun, and a little bit of a headache. I did discover W1 doesn't like to be bent while cold - my first try at the cube twist went really well, but there was a tiny little unstraight place at the pommel end. It just needed a tiny bend, and after all, the steel had been heated quite hot for the twisting and should have been soft...snap! I suspect W1 does a little bit of air-hardening, so on to the second try.....:eek:

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors